gun and pain

"Hello, Miss Linton. It is so nice to observe that you are actually rational enough to pick the right choice."

Lilly did not say anything. Admittedly, she was too weak to come up with a snappy reply. She was bothered that if ever she did utter something, her voice would come up as pathetic.

She was incredibly tired. But she did not intend to slap this already obvious truth right on his face. No thank you. Besides, she had no reason as to why she had to tell him anything. He wasn't deserving.

"You refuse to speak, I see."

Lilly was mentally rolling her eyes. He didn't have to state the obvious.

"However, just so you know Miss Linton, I do not plan to give up on you. Ah, what a romantic line. It is just sad, no? Our circumstance is anything but romantic. Maybe in a different life then. Hmm? But anyway, now, I am going to repeat the question that I've been asking you. Do answer me. What is your relationship with Mr. Rikkard Ambrose?"

Lord Daniel Eugene Dalgliesh knew no bound. He was damn persistent, and Lilly suddenly had this great wave of admiration for Mr. Ambrose and oh yes, Karim. She was very much aware her persistence could be draining.

Still, even though she was forced to stay inside a cell, even if she was deprived of food, even if her throat was aching for water, she was adamant. She did not answer him.

"Oh, this time, do enlighten me. What is in your mind during that time when you decided to actually surrender yourself? I did threaten you through that envelope containing my letter and my golden hair. Well, in accordance, if you do not show up on the park, your Mr. Ambrose will cease to exist. By the way, that hair trick is really neat. Thanks to someone, right?"

She was looking at him directly. Looking down wasn't an option.

"Although you do understand, don't you? That even I will find this extremely difficult to achieve. I am impressed. You care for him a whole awful lot. Or probably you are just impulsive, too. Either way, I am happy you're here."

She wasn't. No. But she sure didn't regret that she chose to be here. Maybe she really did value that miser's life more than her own.

It was even true that the said miser's life wasn't that easy to remove from this world. And yet she could not help but worry.

In relation, Lord Dalgliesh's name, of course, was not written on the letter. The golden hair was more than enough for her to know who it was from.

According to the aforementioned letter, she had to show up on the indicated place if ever she wanted Mr. Ambrose's life to remain as it was.

She saw the letter on her bed; how exactly did the letter end up on her bed, she did not question. Having spent a lot of time with Mr. Ambrose, she got a fair of understanding that men like them were not ordinary. They had their ways.

But actually, she entertained the thought of reporting this to the authority seeing that the letter and his hair could be used against him. Then again, she figured out there is a reason why Dalgliesh is still within Mr. Ambrose's sphere up until now. They played dirty. And Dalgliesh was certainly not stupid to let things be easy on her part. She really could not risk it.

She thought Mr. Ambrose was pretty much satisfied with his life, so she immediately gave in to what Lord Dalgliesh's basically blackmailed her to do.

The fact that his employer had a strong defense because of the numerous men who were hired to protect him, and the fact that he still wasn't six feet below the ground, still in mint condition, despite the existence of his enemies, these didn't immediately occur to her.