Chapter 10: I Don't Want A Heart-To-Heart

It was unexpectedly windy on the roof of the apartment. I sat facing the city with my legs over the side of the building.

When I had first sat down, the wind had been a gentle breeze, but now it had the force of a tornado, and it was whipping my hair across my face. The yellow sun shone between the strands of my hair, the warm colors creating a new color trying to blind me.

I was blinking spots out of my eyes when Barton finally (!) came up wearing his very own tracksuit/training suit thing. It was the same shade of nightmare black as mine was.

It suits him, I thought with a start. I turned back around to face the city.

“So,” Barton sat down next to me, his legs thrown over the building just like mine. We looked down at the street below us. “Aren’t you afraid of someone telling us to get off the roof?”

“Not really,” I replied. “I think they know well enough to leave me alone.”­

“Really?” came the reply.

“Really,” I said, swiftly standing up. I extended a hand to help Barton up. “Also I doubt people are observant enough to look up, or even around. For example,” I pointed to a figure down below. “That man is just looking straight ahead. If he looked up, he would see us, and call the police.”

“Why would he do such a thing?” Barton exclaimed, pulling me back onto the safety of the roof.

“Suicide.” I whispered.            

Barton just raised his eyebrows at me. After a pause, he added “Suicide? You’ve been thinking about suicide?”

“NO!” I exclaimed. I didn’t think I had, but really, not being wanted at the only place you can call home (not Budapest) and dying didn’t seem all that different all of a sudden. “It’s just that a lot of people commit suicide and I-“ I stopped, realizing how lame I sounded.

I sat down. Maybe I had been thinking about dying. I silently cursed Barton. Now I felt as if I had been thinking about death most of my time, how I wasn’t welcome at S.H.I.E.L.D, how maybe nobody would notice if I just… vanished.

“Nat, Nat,” I heard him calling, but I felt too disoriented. “Nat, are you okay? Okay, I shouldn’t have said that, I know how it’s hard for you, but you’re scaring me. Really scaring me.” He took my hand in his. “NAT.”

I jerked my head. “What? I… I’m fine.” To my horror, tears were welling up in my eyes. I swiped at them and stood up shakily.

“Sit down,” Barton said. “You’re not okay, it’s not okay. I’m sorry, I should not have said that.”

“Don’t beat yourself up about it,” I managed. “I didn’t realize how much it’d… I’d…”

“Nat,” He said, and after pushing me down, he sat down beside me. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.” I replied, and instantly felt bad about lying to him. “Everything.”

“Everything?” He asked. “Doesn’t that seem extreme?”

“No…” I replied a little hesitantly. “You know what? I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Well, it’d probably make you feel better.”

“Can I think about this?”

“Nat?” He reached out and took my hand. “Could you think about how you’re not the only one with problems?”

I was shocked. Perfect Barton, have issues?

~~~

Hello, sorry it has been so long since I updated!

I went on holiday (or vacation, whatever) and it was great, and then I was too lazy to write but here I am!

I'm sorry on how short it is!!!!!!!

But Chapter 11 will be longer, okay?

NO it's not okay.

BUT I PROMISE IT WILL BE LONGER!

muah!

nufflepuff