VII. Punishment

Word Count: 1,612

River

"River, Riv wake up," a voice spoke.

That voice, it seemed far to familiar. Groaning I opened my eyes, immediately the sun hit my eyes making me squeeze my eyes closed.

"Where am I?" I groaned, my head pounding.

"Riv get up! Mum says if you don't get up that you won't get any breakfast at all," the voice teased.

That voice, filled with the innocence of childhood. The only person who called me Riv was Ash, my little sister. Frowning I shot up in bed, my eyes wide open as I took in my surroundings. I was in my room, the same blue walls with the door close to the bed, under the large window that looked out at the mountains was a brown desk that was full of papers and books. Climbing out of bed I walked to the wardrobe, opening the doors the smell of grass and sweat invaded my nostrils. Pulling on a shirt I walked out of my room, following the smell of bacon all the way to the kitchen.

"River, if you're eating breakfast I'd sit down now before you have to go help your father," my mother spoke, a sweet smile on her face.

"Ma," I breathed.

Ma let out a laugh her blue eyes creasing. For once her golden hair was tied back in a bun.

"River, did you hit your head too hard at training yesterday?" she asked, smiling widely at me.

"Uh... No I just... Just tired," I mumbled, frowning in confusion.

Sitting at the table I poured a glass of water, my head pounding making me wince. Something was off I just couldn't figure out what it was. Sighing I mumbled a thank you to Ma as she placed a plate of bacon and eggs in front of me. The bacon was burnt and the eggs were done sunny-side up. As I started eating the food before me an uncomfortable feeling settled within me, making my wolf uneasy.

"River, hurry up!" my father shouted.

Forgetting my food I left the table, pressing a kiss to Ma's cheek before rushing out the front door. Today was a beautiful day, the mountain, no it was more of a large flat hill than a mountain, had a thin layer of snow along the grass. The pine trees stood tall, acting as a form of shelter from the snow and as an extra form of training for our warriors. Looking around I quickly spotted my father, silver hair that was common in the Pack and dark eyes. Those were the most common traits in our Pack.

"You called?" I ask as I stood before my Father.

"River, how are you?" Father asked his eyes watching me, showing no hint of emotion.

"I'm good. What do you need my help with?" I asked.

"How are you feeling?" Father asked, resting a hand on my shoulder.

"About?"

"Being given the title of Alpha, at the Moon Ceremony," he replied.

"Nervous, you've left me big boots to fill," I answered honestly.

"Don't be nervous. Just be the man your mother and I raised you to be and you'll be a wonderful Alpha," he answered.

"Father, I need to ask for your permission," I whispered, looking around to make sure no one was listening.

"Of course, for what?"

"I... I keep feeling my wolf tug me towards another Pack," I mumbled, frowning as I tried to explain it.