Chapter 7-Trial by Combat

The morning that I was to find out what my punishment was a servant woman came into my room and helped me to dress but that day instead of the elegant robes that I'd become accustomed to wearing, she helped me into a new shirt and pair of pants much like the ones I had been fighting in for years. With the new clothes came the belt that my mistress gave me all those years ago. When I was clothed I looked no different than I had in my most recent tournament. The only differences were that my face was uncovered and the new clothes were made of a thick, finely woven linen that was dyed darker than a moonless night to show my experience. The servant woman led me through the twisting corridors, but I followed her unquestioningly. Once we were outside she led me to a litter and helped me climb through the curtains and onto the pillows inside. The slaves beneath me lifted the litter up on to their strong shoulders and we were moving.

How long the trip took was indeterminable but when the litter was lowered I stepped out into a completely different part of the city. I was outside a large arena with a pair of colossal doors and I had absolutely no idea where I was. Another servant came out and let me in through a smaller side entrance into the arena. The sight that greeted me made my stomach squirm albeit not unpleasantly. I saw the prince standing on the podium in a flowing dark brown robe with gold embroidery around the cuffs and a crimson silk lining. He was wearing a pair of scarlet pants with more gold threading and a matching shirt to show his status as the crown prince with a black belt around his hips that was as dark if not darker than mine was. The wind played with his thick black hair in a way that made me jealous, while the sun blazed behind him. There was an imposing throne behind him but it wasn't nearly as intimidating as the prince himself. When the prince saw that I had entered the stadium, his dark eyes watched every move I made.

The sound of cheering rose through the arena the moment I set foot inside, a sound that I was very much accustomed to. It was however, most disconcerting to hear while a gentle breeze kissed my face. I was so used to having my gender and therefore my identity hidden behind the comforting but sometimes stifling fabric of my mask that it felt strange indeed to have them bared for all to see. I allowed my gaze to wander from the prince to rove over the men in the crowd, taking in the many faces, all with their eyes trained upon me.

Inevitably my eyes found their way back to the prince but this time I noticed there was a man standing next to him, who I assumed was his brother but I paid little attention to him. My gaze was was riveted by the prince. As we gazed at each other I began to walk unconsciously towards him, I was at the bottom of the stairs beneath him before I'd realised that I had even moved. I gathered what wits he hadn't fried with his sizzling stare and bowed as gracefully and respectfully as I could. He opened his mouth and spoke; it took a second for the meaning of the words coming out of his mouth to sink in. The more I heard the less hope I had, it was my trial. My crime was participating in a tournament meant for men to test their skills so it was only fitting that I win or lose my life by using my own skills. My opponent was to be China's most lethal warrior; him. Until one of us could fight no longer; be it because we were pinned, exhausted or dead. My heart was in my throat and my stomach had dropped to somewhere below my feet.

I had never felt so ill in my life, albeit it was understandable as that day could very well have been my last. The prince started to come down the stairs and for every step that he took towards me I wanted to take two back but he had not yet released me from my bow so I was forced to stay exactly where I was. The only thing that stopped me from trembling was sheer will-power on my part. When he was directly in front of me he ordered me to stand and prepare myself. He took off his robe and handed it to someone, his shirt followed soon after. He stood there bare-chested waiting for me to face him; I was strangely detached as I stood, as though I was watching someone else rise from the ground, watching someone else fight for my life. That was until the first move, then it was very much me desperately fighting for my life.