Chapter 3 - Assignments

The Master and Mistress walked into the room. The brothers bowed their heads in respect with raised hand palm salutes held at eye level.

The Mistress stepped forward and went down a few steps. She held the new assignments in her hands. The Master nodded allowing her to start.

"Business is booming and there have been many requests. As usual we have chosen only those requests worthy of our Sect. Some will have to wait until your return, those are not so urgent."

"Let us begin," Master's voice boomed.

"Step forward when your name is called to receive your next mission."

"Ren! This mission requires the utmost discretion. Wait until the time is right. Make sure you leave false evidence. Details are in the missive."

Ren came forward to accept his assignment from the Mistress. She looked him directly in the eyes. "Good luck and come back safely."

"Thank you Mistress." He bowed and moved back into position.

"Dao! A straight duel, to represent our client. He has contracted us to win a challenge for the honour of his family. Your skills with the saber are most suitable."

"Thank you. I will win and return."

"Shen! Secrecy is needed. Identify and confirm the target. A special request to make it look like an accident."

"Qian and Jin! You two will be working together. Your mission is to spy and gather intelligence, specifically on any moves against General Yan. No killing unless absolutely unavoidable."

"Yes Master!"

"Xuelei!"

Everyone turned in surprised. Usually, those who just returned got at least a week's break. They were not expecting Li or Xuelei to get any missions this round.

"Infiltrate the House of Tian. Dispose the young first Master. Make sure someone sees the assassination but not your face. They want to put the blame on the second son. You must remain anonymous."

"Yes, Master."

Xuelei stepped forward to take the missive from the Mistress, she was handing them out to each of them as the Master assigned each new task. She practically glared at him. He kept his face expressionless as he was trained to do. Calm and respectful, that was what the world saw.

"For those with long missions, Li will be your contact this time. Go now, prepare yourselves. Dismissed."

"Yes Master!"

They all bowed as one to the Master, then to the Mistress.

------------------------------------

"I swear, they are trying to kill you."

"Careful Jin, the walls have ears."

"No really, they always give you the weirdest missions and when you come back alive, Mistress is always relieved to see you, happy for a while, then she becomes irritable, almost angry, like she was dissatisfied in a weird way. She hides it well though," he added thoughtfully. "You would think they want us all to came home safely."

Xuelei turned from his packing. He had sorted out some things from his last mission. Usually, he would have time to organise better but there was no time this round. Jin was lounging in his room, he was already packed.

"Jin ..."

"I mean, it's dangerous to leave witnesses. I prefer a fast quiet kill myself."

"I do what the Master wills," Xuelei responded calmly.

"You will probably be chased, luckily you are light on your feet, little brother." Jin sighed, "Do not get caught, I mean it."

The younger man's mouth twitched upwards, "I didn't know you cared."

Jin grinned, "I have not finished training you with the bow yet. I am determined that you master it and not that cumbersome saber."

"I like the saber."

"Well, unlike it then. Like the bow, it's cooler and has longer range."

Xuelei shrugged non-committedly and finished his packing.

"Take care, stay safe." Jin got up to hug his brother. "Come back alive."

"You too."

"I always do." Jin sauntered out the room.

-----------------------------------------

The Mistress poured freshly brewed tea for her brother and herself. He was worried, his sister was letting her emotions get the better of her. She was not making clear decisions.

"I think we should not have sent Xuelei out, he just got back. It's not like we need the money. Payments on the last few jobs were good."

"He is young and healthy, he had no injuries in his last job, unlike Li. We need jobs done, our reputation is growing," she countered. "Too many jobs are piling up, we have taken advance money for some."

"It was not that urgent, we should pace ourselves," he said taking a sip of his fragrant tea. "We could have let him take a break, a few days would not have made a difference."

"The faster he gets this job done, the faster we can assign him new ones. You know the demand for our services have escalated recently."

"Shao Ling... do you really want him to get hurt? Sending him out so soon without any rest, fatigue can kill him just as easily as an enemy's blade. You know that. He is still too young."

She kept silent a moment before a tear slid down her cheek, "I don't know. Every day, seeing him grow-up, he is beginning to look more and more like..." She drew a breath, "He even walks and talks like him but yet a little different ... It's like seeing a ghost."

Her brother reached across the table to wipe away her tears. "Do you regret your actions that day? Do you regret taking him in? The name you gave him, Xuelei, it is not an easy name to bear."

"I don't know. I love him but I hate him too."

"Deal with your own demons. It is not right to take it out on the boy. He has done nothing wrong. What will you do if he dies?"

"I don't know."