THE MOVE CHAPTER 4

Carmen is tired.  She had to make 3 trips across town to get all her things into the new apartment.  She didn't realize she had so much stuff.  Carmen puts the last of her clothes into the passenger's seat.  She had to buy a new wardrobe for this job and she doesn't want anything to get wrinkled. She can't imagine going into work wrinkled.  She can barely afford the dry cleaning necessary to keep up with the dress code, and now that Bonnie is in the office, she is constantly sweaty with nerves, even though Bonnie hadn't been in the office for a few days.  She had to go back to her old apartment and pick a few things up.  The apartment she shared with her sorority sister. The one bedroom. The one bed.

 Carmen, get your shit together.  Your life is changing.  Carmen puts the car in reverse only to hear a horrible grinding sound.  She needs to get her car fixed.  She needs everything fixed.  Nothing makes sense anymore since Bonnie came into her life.   She didn't come into my life, she came into the office.  Carmen reprimands herself.  She is just the daughter of the CEO.  And Carmen leaves the Caverns and goes forward into her new life.  And for a secret moment, one she can barely admit to herself, she hopes that Bonnie will be in it.

 Finally, a place of her own.  Carmen looks around.  Yes, the money in gas was worth it.  And it is a weekend, she can just get herself situated for two days.  Maybe go to the pool.  She can't believe it.  A pool, a gym and a conference room.  Fountains in the hallways and new carpet.  The carpet at her sister's hasn't been changed since she moved in 10 years ago.  It is so worn out, you can almost see the flooring.         

       Carmen takes off her shoes and walks around the apartment for the 3rd time in her bare feet.  The plush carpet feels so good under her tired feet.  No pool, she just wants to stand there, feeling, relaxing.  She goes into the kitchen to get a glass of water from the refrigerator.  It's got a water filter and an ice maker on the door.  Never has Carmen lived in such luxury.

 There is a knock at the door. Carmen is so excited she forgets to look through the peephole. She opens the door and a delivery guy is there with a massive bouquet of flowers. "Carmen Hernandez?"

"Yes." Carmen stands at the door, her mouth agape.

 "Well, these are for you if you want to take them. Can't stand here all day." 

"I'm sorry. Did you need me to do anything?" 

"Yeah, sign here." He holds out a piece of paper and a pen. "Haven't you ever gotten flowers before?" 

"Sure." Carmen lies. "I just, with moving and everything. I'm a little confused. Who are they from?" 

"I don't read the cards lady, I just deliver the flowers. Have a nice day." 

Flowers.  Carmen jumps up and turns around to face them.  She squeals and fumbles through the bouquet to find the card.  Once she does, with shaking hands, she opens the envelope

. "Welcome home, Carmen." 

No name, no nothing.  Just "Welcome Home."  Bonnie.  It has to have been Bonnie.  Carmen's smile gets even brighter.  Obviously Bonnie was even classier than she had thought.  Flowers, a massive bouquet of flowers.   Carmen puts her face in them and takes a deep breath in.  They smell wonderful. Could they be from Bonnie?