Chapter 29

A night on the ground had done little in terms of rest. True to Calum's predictions, I spent most of the night shivering. Or tossing and turning on the thin mattress to find a more pleasant position. I woke groggy and grumpy.

Calum and I performed an in-depth check on all the fever patients, followed by a bland breakfast of cold, unseasoned porridge. We packed up our wagon to leave, only after being assured that no new cases of the fever had developed overnight.

Our return trip to the castle seemed to go on for an eternity, so anxious was I to be home. My exhaustion obscured the beauty of the surrounding countryside — the glory of May budding and blooming in greens, purples, and blues that tormented my sleep-starved eyes. Thankfully, the rest of our travels passed with no further discussion of love. With no conversation at all, really. I bobbed against the back of the seat, my eyes heavy. From time to time, I startled awake, surprised I had fallen asleep.

Calum and I returned to Stormway after lunchtime, when the afternoon sun was bright and tormenting. Alex was waiting in the courtyard when we arrived. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was tangled and standing on end. His mouth was drawn and there was no missing the sag of his shoulders in relief as we pulled up to meet him.

Hopping down from the gig with a vigor I knew was only for show, Calum clapped Alex on the shoulder, knocking him forward with the force of his greeting. "You look terrible, old friend. Nasty night sleep?"

I didn't miss the pointed, gloating smirk Calum shot me.

Grumbling, I gathered up my skirts and hopped down, my feet stinging with the impact on the hard ground. "Ignore him."

"Easily," Alex said, smiling at me. He reached out his hand and rubbed it down the length of my arm. A comforting, soothing gesture. "You look exhausted."

"I'm fine," I said, biting back a yawn. "I could drink an entire cask of coffee, though."

"Her ladyship is not acquainted with the many pleasures of sleeping in the fresh air," Calum said mockingly, as if my inability to sleep with a rock wedged into my spine was a fault of character.

I had to agree. "Remind me never to do that again."

"How is the village? Is the fever contained?" Alex asked, his eyes roving over me as if to spot the telltale pustules on my skin.

"It appears so. No new cases, thank goodness. The patients that took the sweating cure yesterday looked much better this morning. A few more days of precaution and we should be in the clear." 

I turned and scanned the activity in the courtyard, enjoying the hustle. The familiar sight and sounds of home almost made me cry. One night away and I had dwindled into a sentimental fool.

"I am glad to be home," I said, as I watched two kitchen maids throw potato peels at each other. Based on their shrieking, they were in a feud over a lost ribbon.

"We are glad to have you back," Alex said, with genuine feeling. "I almost tore my hair out trying to run the place yesterday." He laughed, running his fingers through his wild curls. There was a touch of hysteria behind his eyes that was endearing.

Calum beamed at me victoriously. Choosing to ignore him, I turned back to Alex.

"I suppose I'm too late for lunch," I said as my stomach rumbled.

"Yes, but we can find you something in the kitchens. You know Cook, always happy to feed us."

"Always happy to feed you. You'll have to work your magic to get me some scraps."

Alex placed his hand over his heart and smiled, "I swear to do my best."

"Calum, do you need anything?" I said, turning to him.