Chapter 43

Everyone began to leave the board room, one by one, after the meeting. They each took their time to congratulate Devlin on her awards and current achievement, at the same time questioning who their new CEO would be. Bastian watched how his sister responded smartly, he could also sense her impatience from her sarcastic smile and narrowed eyes.

"Danielle, take this down to the car and email Cullen, tell him I'm cancelling our meeting at 5," he told his blond assistant who nodded in reply and without wasting anymore time, she walked out with a stack of files and an iPad. The board was finally empty now, Devlin wrung her neck from side to side and flexed her shoulders to relax her tight muscles. Bastian stood up to gather a few documents preparing to head out of the room as well.

"I heard that Papa became conscious for a few seconds before going back to his coma," he said. Devlin looked into her phone to find a few missed calls from an unknown number and wondered who it could be. "Did he say anything?"

"Uh.... Nothing more than just mumbles and murmurs according to Dameon," she answered while she was still looking into her iPhone.

"Dameon was there with him? Are you sure he didn't say anything, anything at all about the will?" Bastian asked.

"We can't expect him to be concerned about that anymore. Mama said his decision was never changing,"

"What?!" Bastian slammed the papers he held, back onto the boardroom table. "Is he mad!! He's throwing our entire family heritage down the drain!"

"Calm your pants Bastian. You can't think with a hothead, there's no use getting frustrated at a bad situation when there's possible ways to think of to turn it all around," she was now staring out the clear glass window, looking at the five storey buildings below them. Bastian leaned over the table, before rubbing the back off his neck to ease his disappointment.

"What are you thinking of?" Bastian knew that thoughtful look on Devlin's face. She was a very smart woman that no man would dare to mess with, and she didn't always need her good looks to get her what she wants, a woman with her mentality would always find a way around to attain the impossible. She thought of everything like a game, and in her games no one had a chance of winning against her.

Devlin pulled out the notebook she had and placed it on the table before Bastian. "What's this?" he asked, before moving closer to catch a glimpse of the the golden imprint on the leather cover that read, 'Josue'.

 "What's this?" he asked, before moving closer to catch a glimpse of the the golden imprint on the leather cover that read, 'Josue'

"Something Papa gave to Mama," she answered.

He gave a long look at it, then at his older sister. He figured that she wanted him to open it as if he'd expect to find a big surprise inside. Bastian slowly took the book from the table and opened it. He found the set of old letters and didn't think much of it. "Letters from uncle Josue?"

"Do you know what you have in your hands right now?"

"A bunch of old, torn papers,"

"Maybe if you actually take the time to read every word, you'll.......... understand why that stack of old papers in your hands is the most important thing to Papa in the world right now," Devlin replied. The expression on Bastian's face turned to confusion, and his eyes quickly began to go through the letters. "Go to 21 November 75." She rolled her eyes, and so Bastian began to quickly find the particular date. He flipped through for a few seconds and came to the letter he was looking for. He read it as Devlin looked out the window with folded arms, knowing that he'd eventually be wide eyed with surprise at the end of the letter. Bastian did exactly that and he looked up as he placed the notebook back on the table.