26

They froze as a collective group, both sides caught off guard

Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit, shit. Like a skipping record in her head, Calponia internally cussed on repeat, rapidly glancing around the room as she frantically tried to come up a plan that wasn't 'Run in circles, screaming.' Damn Mack for not being here. Damn Lady Agatha and Cesario for not being here. Damn Eugene for not being here. The dread in her stomach intensified as the battered figure of Miranda groaned. The sound seemed to break the spell as an invigorated Ariel shoved his brother aside and shot forward.

He left a trail of glittering sparks in his wake. Calponia blinked, her reaction time at as snail's pace as she watched the pale man attempt to rescue his sister. The scene unfolded in slow motion, as if the very air transformed into some viscous fluid that impeded their actions. Ariel was still far from them, too far, when the hooded figure lashed out, flicking his fingers.

A crack like thunder pealed through the air, a loud blast that overwhelmed her senses and left her ears ringing. Calponia felt a whoosh of air as Ariel flew backward, crashing to the floor with an impact that dwarfed her previous fall. She felt it through the soles of her feet, vibrating up her legs. All through a flick of the hooded guy's fingers.

Calponia took an instinctive step back, her heart pounding as she braced herself for a world of pain.

The hooded figure released Miranda's hair with a huff, planting his hands on his hips. "Bugger, this is unexpected."

He was drowning in blood

His awareness of his surroundings was muted, muffled by the unending thrum of blood. Heartbeats surrounded him. He snuffed them out, one by one, seeking something intangible but necessary, more necessary than the blood that ran hot from the vein, cooling and congealing on his fingers.

Blood on his hands again.

He didn't want this.

He didn't want to be this.

Deep inside, a piece of him thrashed and wailed, a fluttering butterfly trapped beneath the paw of a massive beast. An apt comparison as he was the beast, the monster, the nightmare come to life. He stumbled, leaning heavily against rough stone, unable to reach that tranquil piece of his soul he'd worked so hard to save.