Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The rest of the day quickly blew by with the two of us, constantly dragging each other on ride after ride. We were getting used to each other's presence and learned to have fun instead.

Not once did I manage to run into Belle and Tony again, making me think that the two had left before even enjoying their day. It made me feel bad, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't mad at her anymore. We just needed time to cool down and I was all for respecting that. 

Gray and I had nearly spent a good 10 hours at the fair, hitting nearly all the rides in the entire carnival before switching to the fair games and enjoying a dinner of fair junk food. With enough corn dogs and icees to share with 3 other people, the two of us managed to dive deep into the oh so interesting topic of school.

"Ms. Kraug is the worst, I don't know how you can stand her," I tell him, seriously trying to figure out if his mind was working properly.

Ms. Kraug was the guidance counselor for seniors with the last names C-D at our school. For someone who was hired to make students happier, figure their shit out, and help with personal problems; I was surprised she still kept her job because she did none of that.

"She isn't that bad." Grayson tries to reason. I shake my head at the thought of the cranky old lady, most likely suffering a mid-life crisis and securing her poorly executed job with a degree.

"She always is sorting my scholarships and asking if I want a snack so I really don't see it." He explains. I roll my eyes after closing my hanging jaw.

Are you kidding me? It was considered a lucky day if you found her awake instead of asleep in her closet-sized office.

In the end, it was inevitable to not have teachers who made you feel like someone could've done so much better in their position and other who make you feel like they should be paid much more. 

"Oh, that's because I'm sure she loves you just like everyone else." I tell him, "She has to make sure your path to greatness is rolled out like a red carpet in front of you."

An emotion shows on his face that I'm not so sure of but he masks it off with a shrug.

"Anyways, cheer, volleyball, and photography?" Grayson questions, clearly changing the subject, "Those are like completely different things, how did that even happen?" 

"I grew up my entire life with a camera stuck in my face to 'capture memories' and eventually it became a habit that I couldn't shake and begin to enjoy." I answered, "I've done competition cheer and decided that it was only right that I join sideline as well but volleyball was something I stopped playing because of an injury." 

"Oh yikes," He sighed, "That must suck. Are you doing anything important for photo this year? You're in the leadership committee for that right?" 

"Yea, I'm in charge of the senior memory book this year." I tell him, "That's why I'm spending a couple of the fourth quarters during our biggest games to make sure I can make it and perfect as possible." 

With that, his face brightens up.

"So that was what you were taking pictures for; I'll be sure to buy a copy then." He tells me, smiling and urging me to continue.

And so, it went on like that. The two of us talking as if we were catching each other up on our high school careers that we had spent so close but so far.

It was nice to talk about myself for a change, not watching Belle and Tony or smiling so that the crowd would be hyped up. The unfamiliarity of it was awkward at first but I soon became comfortable.

Maybe it was just because of Grayson's way of responding and answering back, attentive as if he actually cared. 

Maybe he wasn't so bad after all. 

***