Chapter Four

NOT PROPERLY EDITED

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once Callisto was calmed and level headed, the two moved back up to Deimos' secret training pad in the branches. After a few stretches the blue-hued female turned to face the pile of weapons they harvested from the ship and had set out in lines beside the wall of much more crude weapons from Praesidium. The girl turned to scan Deimos like he did to her when he planned to give her one of his own weapons.

"You're an archer, correct?" The towering canine tilted his head to say he in fact was. "You any good?" Deimos smirked and held out his hand for her to pass him his personal bow and arrows hung on the wall beside her. She did and he used the flintstone arrow to point at a target he had set up roughly fifty yards from the edge of the training arena.

"Watch and learn, Callisto." The mentioned female lifted a brow and crossed her arms as she did in fact watch him take aim. He brought the feathers to his cheekbone just under his eye and took a deep breath before releasing the projectile. Together they watched as the arrow sped through the air to thud deep into the bullseye of the intended target. His doe brown eyes shifted sideways to the pleasantly impressed Callisto and he mirrored her crossed-armed stance.

"Color me impressed, Deimos. But I think you'll enjoy this much better." Reaching down to pick up a beautifully golden bow embossed with decorative gems of jade and rubies, but looked to be missing a drawstring. The male hybrid stifled a laugh and tilted his head a fraction in confused curiosity.

"Callisto, you may not realize this, but it's missing the drawstring." The blue female rolled her eyes before lifting a black metal quiver of similarly metallic arrows topped by golden feather-shaped fletching. Every arrow was missing the sharp tip and this further confused Deimos. Before he could make any snappy remarks, Callisto tapped the end of the blunted arrow against the hand grip of the bow. A soft yellow-hued drawstring stretched from nock to nock and the arrow tip glowed the same color- the quiver lighting with the same muted shade. Deimos eyes grew massively wide and lit with a brilliant excitement. He reached out and gently slid the bow from her thinner hands before testing the weapon and the odd drawstring that glows.

"This is beautiful! What is this?"

"This is a metal alloy synthetically crafted to conduct plasma when these tungsten arrows come in contact with the sensors inlaid into the sight window. The arrowheads are sharper than razors and stronger than titanium. But it gets better, my friend." Taking the bow from his clawed hands, she twisted the arrow rest and the bow separated in half to become twin intricate kopesh swords.

"This is for when you run out of arrows and are in the middle of a fight."

"Absolutely brilliant! Are all of your Earth weapons like this?" A soft smile lifted her lips and Callisto nodded before handing him the quiver of arrows. As he adjusted the girth strap, Callisto put the bow back into one whole piece and attached the nocks to the top and bottom connections from girth strap to quiver, the plasma of the drawstring and the arrowheads fading out as the edge touched the blackened metal quiver.

"The arrows are reusable and nearly unbreakable. Bit of a step-up from your wooden bow and stone arrows, huh?" Callisto picked her own weapon of choice; a beautiful katana blade rested in a black plastic sheath marbled with white to make a gorgeous range of smoky greys and slates and decorated with a silver dragon waving its serpentine body along both sides.

"That's a beautiful blade. Does it do anything like the bow?" The female shook her head no and swings the gently curving blade through the air, the sword slicing the atmosphere with a metallic zing.

"Sometimes the original is the best. These swords can slice a person in half with a single swipe, no need to fix whats already perfect." Deimos' already wide eyes stretched ever further until they verged on popping clean free of his eye sockets with the surprise at the idea that a single blade could cleave a person in complete halves.