-Chapter Eight-

Seth

A lot of things happened in the span of five minutes.

Tyron informed me that Alpha Alex and his Beta had arrived for an unscheduled visit. I let them both in, being that our packs have a long history of alliance, my father and Alex's were close as well. We spent a few minutes catching up before Katrina's scent came wafting through the room, and just as I was about to tell Alex about her, my mate let out a sound that about sent me into a panic.

A heartbroken, pained whine that had automatically sent me and Damien into defense mode. I had turned to see if she was hurt, and caught her face frozen with pain as she stared at the blond haired Beta. The brunette hanging on his arm, and bearing his mark, is forgotten as he stared back at my mate with a lustful look that makes me and my wolf bristle with anger. It only takes one word from him to set everything off.

"Mate."

I let out a growl so fierce it shook the house, and if it wasn't for my father holding me back, I would've shifted right then and ripped that mutt to shreds. Alex grabbed hold of the runt and took him outside, while my father proceeded to drag me upstairs to my office despite me wanting to either rip open that Beta or follow my mate to where she disappeared to.

Now trapped inside my office with my father and Beta standing in front of the door, my mother sitting in one of the chairs trying to talk me down from my bloodlust, I now pace angrily. What little rational thought I have focused on how what happened could be remotely possible.

I am her mate, not that blond runt!

It only fuels my anger, and being trapped in this damned office isn't really helping. A knock sounds at the door, and I almost ignore it.

"Alpha Seth, its Adrienne. I think I can straighten out what happened out there."

I halt mid-step, staring at the door. She knows what happened?

"Come in."

My Alpha tone leaks heavily in my voice, and I fight to get Damien under control. Tyron opens the door, and Adrienne walks in, looking the last thing I'd expected her to be. Afraid.

She sits down next to my mother, pausing a moment before looking up at me.

"I suppose I should cut right to it." She starts, her voice hesitant. I reluctantly lean back against the front of the desk, reminding Damien that this is our mates sister, not the bad guy.

"The story I told you when we met, that we left because I was rejected...was true. Except for one detail....I wasn't the one rejected, Katrina was."

My rage drops for a moment, my eyes going wide at the truth. The rest of the room is quiet, and Adrienne sighs.

"Katrina wasn't ready to talk about it, even though it happened six years ago, so I took the role for her."

"Six years? I thought you two had been rogues for four?"

"I'm getting to that. The day she turned sixteen, she and I stuck together, in case she found her mate...and she did." She swallows hard, her hand reflexively going to her shoulder.

"It was our future Beta, Jamie. And she found him between the legs of another she wolf...the same one that was on his arm and bearing his mark."

I let out a growl, realizing that both the causes of my mates suffering were welcomed into my home unknowingly.

"He took one look at her, and rejected her. Like she meant nothing. And went back to mating with that...that...mutt. Right in front of her!" She seethes, and I feel my own anger bubbling again.