tears of love

Malika calls her maids and tells them to prepare iftar for two people, one of them being Rani Padmavati.
She wears a simple, dark green dress with little embroidery on it. She puts on light jewelries, not wanting to hear them tingle because her head already hurts horribly from the stress.
‎She makes a plain braid and puts on a few hair jewelries, waiting for Padmavati to arrive.
***
Padmavati is placed in a big room, not as big as her chambers back home, but it looks fine. She doesn't feel comfortable though, now that he has her between his walls and under his roof.

He has sympathy for her, she sees it as an obvious thing now. Maybe he has feelings beyond lust? She doesn't care even if he is madly in love with her. Him being patient for a while doesn't make him a nice person. Even if he waits for centuries, she won't want him. Never. But she has to find a way to make him think that she will, one day, she will smile at his face and desire him the way he desired her. The thought makes Padmavati sick, but she knows it's the only way to rule a man of desires.
‎She snaps back to reality as the doors open, terrified with the idea of him hearing her thoughts and coming here. Fortunately it's just a maid telling her to get ready for meeting Malika Mehrunisa.
‎She nods and puts on her dupatta, covering her wet, braided hair. She walks to Mehrunisa's chambers, great doors open up to a great view.
A huge table is set, next to the windows that sees the endless deserts and cloudless sky. As the sun sets, the dark walls of Malika's room is painted with shades of yellow and red. Her room is already lit with a thousand candles and smells like everything beautiful and lively. Luxury of her room shines even brighter with this perfect lighting.
And then she sees Malika, who looks unrelated with the room. She looks nothing like the first time Padmavati saw her. She looks so pale, so tired... It raises questions in her mind. Was she being punished for helping them escape? Is she ill? Looks like Khilji treats his captives better than he treats his wife.
"Welcome back to the Khilji Palace, Padmavati." She says, approaching her.
Padmavati slightly bows her head, not knowing what to say.
Malika walks closer to her, opening her arms. "When fate makes its irreversible moves, all we can do is embrace it."
Padmavati's sad expression slowly turns into a genuine smile and she hugs Mehrunisa, finally finding a little comfort in this foreign land.
"Thank you." She whispers as her eyes water.
Mehrunisa lets go of Padmavati and looks at her again, eyeing her up and down. "You are not hurt, right?"
"No, no... I'm fine. But you look so pale."
Mehrunisa smiles slightly, choosing not to say anything about it. "Have a seat." She says, pointing to the huge table covered with all kinds of food.
Padmavati sits opposite to Malika and they eat quietly after the evening prayer call is heard. Padmavati eats well, surprising herself. Mehrunisa eats a little but loses her appetite way too soon.
"Did you like the food?" Malika asks kindly.
"I really liked it." She says, nodding. "If only all Khilji dynasty were hospitable as you."
"The blood that runs in your veins can't change your heart. He is what he is." Malika says with a stern voice, feeling tensed about all that she has to say.
"I prayed day and night for this madness to end. I am fasting since the day he left the palace, hoping that somehow he changes his mind." Mehrunisa took a deep breath, while she watched the stars appear as the sky darkens.
Padmavati fixed her gaze on her face, the burn in her throat making her unable to say a word, again.
"What is the point of being Malika-i Jahan when your prayers are not heard? You can rule over thousands but not the one. You can win lands but not the hearts." Mehrunisa fights back tears as her eyes stay fixed on the food she couldn't eat. "I told him that I want you to be my servant, be my company. I couldn't think of anything else when he said he could take you as a second wife."
There isn't one moment that Padmavati didn't think about taking her own life since the first day of her captivity and when she hears Khilji's idea, the urge of jumping down from the window right next to her, is almost irresistible.
She closes her eyes, reminding herself she has to be alive for her husband's revenge. It takes literally everything in her to keep calm but she manages.
"I can never thank you enough for this favour. You will be in my prayers forever.  I'll be more than glad to be your company."