Poppy The Puppy

ShutUpAndWriteClub 

Your little brother comes bursting through the door jumping up and down.

"Lainey! Lainey!"

"Yes, Matt!" You say smiling at his excitement.

"Mummy, Daddy and I buyed you a puppy!"

You gape in surprise," really? You bought me a puppy! Thank you, Matt!"

You give him a bear hug while he giggles.

"Lainey?"

You grab your 6 year old brother's hand and run to your parents in the sitting room who are beaming at you both.

"Aww, she's adorable!" You yell as you see your Dad holding a puppy who is sniffing the air.

"Well, she's all yours, Lainey,"

"Can I help look after her?" Matt says looking up at you sweetly.

You ruffle his blonde hair and answer," of course you can,"

Matt's smile lights up the entire room as he bounces up and down.

Tears fill your eyes as your Dad hands you your very own grey floppy-eared puppy who lays her little head on your chest.

"Happy 17th birthday, I hope it's the best one yet," your Mum whispers smiling at your joy.

"Thank you! I love her so so much,"

"Lainey. Why are you crying? Are you sad?" Matt pipes up, his green eyes as wide as saucers.

You share a smile with your parents at the innocent question.

"No, Angel, she's just happy. Sometimes when people are very happy they cry," your Mum explains gently.

"Hi, you cute thing, you," you coo at the small puppy who responds by licking your cheek.

"She likes you!" Your parents say smiling at both you and Matt's delighted look.

"I love her! Does she have a name?"

"No, the man said we can call her whatever we want!"

You chuckle at your brother's enthusiasm.

"Do you want to hold her, Matt? She's so soft!" You say, laughing when Matt nods so hard that for a second you think his head might fall off.

You pat the space next to you on the sofa for him to sit. You carefully place the puppy on his lap and she sits down, her small head and long ears resting on his knee.

"Mummy! Daddy! She likes me," he says stroking her head.

"Josh, look how happy they are. It's so nice to see," your Mum whispers, watching both of you stroking the adorable dog.

"I know. Isn't it?" He whispers back. To you he says,"so what shall we name her?"

"What about Poppy or Grace?"

At the word Poppy; the dog wags her tail and pops her head up to lick Matt's nose.

You and your family laugh as you say," Poppy it is then!

You stand up and go to your parents to hug them," I adore Poppy. She is just the cutest! Thanks again,"

"Our pleasure," your parents say in unison as they embrace you back.

You glance back to see Poppy and Matt playing.

"Lainey! Look!"

You giggle at the sight of your brother laying down on the floor with the grey puppy sitting on his chest licking his face all over. You come over to lay next to him to see Poppy's reaction. To your surprise and delight Poppy stretches over both of you with her front paws and head on your stomach. You stroke her head and soft ears and she pushes her nose into your hand and licks it as if to say "Thank you,"

As you lay on the floor with your brother; the sweetest puppy you've ever seen in your life sitting on you and your parents giggling in the background, you think that today is the happiest day of your life.

Word Count: 600

____________________________

Poppy :

Lainey :

Lainey :

Matt :