An Author's Review of Ender's Game

So, I'm laying belly down in some mountain foliage next to a seasonal stream that's trickling off the last of the remaining snowmelt (see the above picture I just took), and I'm pondering my recent read of Orson Scott Card's novel Ender's Game. 

Unfortunately my phone only has 7% battery power left and my stupid thumb-keyboard keeps misspelling every other word or auto-misscorrecting. So I'll probably have to finish my thoughts when I get back to the rat race... Oh joy.

OK. Enough of the sarcasm. Back to the review.

...Much Later...

OK... Beer in hand, I think I may be ready to dispend my impressions of Ender's Game:  Flipping good book. Go read it.  End of review. Just kidding.

Ender is a Third

Ender is a Third. You see, in Ender's time frame on earth, things are pretty wack on the planet. Overpopulation is a huge issue, so family's are limited to two children, max.  But Ender's family is special in that the kids are a result of human genetics enhancement experimentation by the World Government.  (Big Brother, anyone?) Thus, the military and world powers endorses Ender's parents in the creation of a third offspring.

Andrew Thomas Wiggin, commonly known by his nickname Ender, is the youngest of three children. His parental units were put together by the Government to procreate, give birth to, and nurture highly intelligent and creative children, in hope that one of the siblings would prove to be a creative military genius. 

Why, O', why is a super creative military genius required, you ask.  Because earth has been previously attacked by another advanced race of beings not of our world.  (And that is actually handled quite deftly, so it does not at all come off like every other alien invasion story and movie out there.  Well done, Orson Scott Card (OSC).) Mankind, under the leadership of Mazer Rackham, was able to escape total annihilation by the invading force commonly known as the Buggers. Although that Battle was some 50 years prior, the people of earth have been preparing for the eventuality of the return of the Buggers and the fight for the continuing existence of mankind.  To lead this battle the world government has been looking for the ultimate military genius.  Each of the Wiggin children has their chance to be chosen as that perfect warrior for saving the human race.

Ender's two older siblings are: Peter, the eldest, and number two in the birthing order is Victoria.  Victoria is the nurturing sibling and Peter is the psychopath, and a brilliant one at that. Actually all of the children are highly exceptional in there own ways. 

Each of the siblings has been monitored by the government.  Not just checked up on occasionally.  They have all had monitors implanted in the back of their heads, which allows the G-Men to closely examine their specimens. 

In the story Peter and Victoria have long since had their monitors removed, but, initially, Ender still has his in his skull. 

Peter and Victoria have not been chosen to attend Battle School, due to polar opposite reasons.  Peter was dropped from the program for excessively violent tendencies. Victoria was dropped because of her lack of aggression.

Peter holds a serious grudge against Ender in the fact he was even allowed to be born as a Third.  He is self criticizing in the fact that he was not chosen to attend Battle School.  So he takes it out on his younger brother with physical violence, playing mind games and threating to kill him.  Victoria protects Ender and is also preyed upon, but she somewhat understands Peter's behavior. It plays out in a very interesting game of sibling rivalry.

At age six Ender has his monitor removed.  Shortly thereafter a Colonel Graff shows up at the Wiggin's home.  Peter hopes that the military has come for him, but it is indeed Ender that has been chosen.  Graff let's Ender know that the choice to actually attend Battle School is ultimately his.  Graff also let's Ender know that it will be years before he gets to see his beloved sister and the rest of his family.  But Graff also relies on the knowledge of Ender's fear of his tormenting brother Peter to help coax him to join up.  That and the knowledge that when the Buggers do arrive it will most likely be the end of the world for Ender, his sister, all of his family, friends, and the entire human population.  Now that's a guilt trip.

Ender ultimately decides to join Colonel Graff, off planet, at the Battle School.

Ender is purposely alienated from the other students by the adept manipulations of the military staff sergeants, via the direct orders of those in charge.  Battle School gets Damn interesting, Damn fast.

The author, Orson Scott Card, has some deep psychological insights into what motivates people. He utilizes this knowledge adeptly in providing excellent cause and effect within his storylines.  Things don't just happen mambee-pambee in his story.  There's social, personal, and psychological reasoning behind the characters actions and reactions. I dig that, as I love a thinking man's or woman's story.  But of course, Orson is a man (I have a certain knack for the obvious).

I'll leave the rest of the story for you to read and enjoy.  Even if you are not a fan of science fiction this story has so much more to it that I'm sure you will still really dig it.  So grab your reading shovel and get in there!

If I had flaming balls of hydrogen to throw around I'd play the omnipotent one and give it 4 and a half out of five (getting 5 stars out of me is all but impossible).  Well maybe I'd give it 4.75 blazing heavenly bodies. 

Go Get Your Read On!

Brad Jensen
- Author of Rez's Edge -

Brad Jensen- Author of Rez's Edge -

https://www.amazon.com/Rezs-Edge-Brad-Jensen-ebook