Chapter 50.2 | Vows, Promises and Tears

Listen to the song added above for better feels.

[Calum Achorn]

The music begins on the other side of the door, which indicated the entry of the bridesmaids. The door opens slowly, and Neave's best friends, six of them, walk in, their feet following the slow rhythm of the music.

Ambrosia's hand clasps mine tightly, nervously. I give it a small squeeze and smile down at her. She's breathing heavily, probably afraid of tripping and making a complete nuisance of herself.

"I won't let you fall," I lean down and whisper in her ear. She lets a shaky breath out and nods.

The music climbs in pitch, indicating entry of the best man and the maid of honour. Ambrosia gives an encouraging smile to her sister and nods at me that she's ready, and clutches me for dear life.

I take a deep breath myself and guide her, keeping pace with the music. Everyone smiles at us as we enter, and Timothy gives me a discreet thumbs up. Her mother has a sour expression on her face, as if she was waiting me to bolt out of the door any second.

We reach the aisle quickly enough, and Ambrosia takes her place next to the other bridesmaids. I stand behind Paul.

A hush falls on the room when Neave enters with Mr Bellemore. She looks likes she's gliding a few feet over the floor, with the white dress trailing a few feet behind her. She's smiling radiantly at everyone and Paul looks almost lost in a trance.

When Mr Bellemore hands over Neave to Paul, I see a tear sliding down Paul's face. In an instant, my gaze snaps to Ambrosia's face. She's already watching me.

"Dearly beloved, we're gathered here today to see the holy union of two beautiful souls under the watchful and loving gaze of Jesus. Paul and Neave, this is your day and thank you for letting us be a part of it," The priest begins the ceremony, but my eyes remain on Ambrosia.

The priest reads excerpts from the holy text, but I can't seem to concentrate on his words. Something in me changed the moment I saw the tears in Paul's eyes, and I can't seem to take my off of Ambrosia.

"What?" Ambrosia mouths, concerned. I must look lost in thought. I shake my head, smiling softly.

The priest asks Neave to read her vows. Ambrosia hands her a small notebook, and she starts reading from it.

"Paul Harper," She says, her voice cracks a little, but she's smiling.

"I'm not sure about what makes up the universe and I'm not sure about where I will be in 20 years. I'm not sure about what I want to wear, or what I like to eat, but I am sure about this. I love you and want to be with you. To be unsure about things together is something I want for the rest of our lives," She says. Ambrosia and I stare at each other, unblinking. Ambrosia's eyes shimmer a little, filled with tears.

"Though today seems like the beginning of a long journey and I can't help but feel like I'm finally home," Neave reads, tears freely falling down her face as Paul clutches onto her hand tightly.

"I will treat your goals, dreams, and ambitions as my own. I will be ever supportive to you and to make sure that our collective dreams will always come true." At this, Ambrosia nods at me with a small smile. I feel my heart clench.

The priest asks Paul to read his vows. I hand him the parchment.

"I promise to find a way to show you how much I love you every single day of our lives." Paul reads. Ambrosia mouths 'I promise' and averts her eyes in a hurry.