Chapter 46

It was probably close to an hour before we returned to the Bridge. One of the Officers had informed the Captain that the transfer was complete. The Captain seemed relieved, probably because he was running out of things to show us.

I passed my Guide once more to Ronan as I went in to disconnect the data storage device. The Captain remained outside of the side-room while watching. Once I exited the room, he closed the door so it was once more impossible to tell apart from the other wall panels all around the room.

Ronan took the briefcase-sized device before passing the Guide back to me. The Captain escorted us back towards the main access door. He paused outside on the small platform at the top of the docking station ramp. "It has been a pleasure speaking with you, Captain Wanderer. I hope that we will meet again one day."

I shook his hand in farewell. "Thank you very much, Captain Lawson. Safe travels until we meet again."

Ronan followed me down the ramp, and when we reached the main docking station platform, the Captain went back inside his ship. The walk back to the Starsong was uneventful as we walked past various individuals, crew members, and passengers from other ships.

Once we were inside, I took the case from Ronan and headed straight to Starsong's Bridge. Ronan went off to do whatever it was he normally did. The atmosphere in the Starsong was quite laidback and easy-going, which was a welcome change to what I had seen on the previous ship or on the Tyndel. The crew on the Starsong didn't stiffen or tense up at the sight of their Captain. They were so used to me showing up on a regular basis with my walk arounds that they expected it at this point.

It was a relief to enter the Bridge and see smiles of welcome. I put my Guide on my chair as the side-door opened. I carried the data storage device inside and put it in the holder on the wall where it would remain, safe and sound, until the empty Starship caught up to us.

I left the room, and the door closed behind me, sealing itself shut once more. 'Feel better now that it is on board?'

I knew he felt responsible for the AI until we could upload and upgrade it. He responded, "Yes, it is a major milestone for the Starships. An AI with the proper potential was purchased and will shortly join our ranks. Our abilities, awareness, and situation binds us together; not quite like what you and your brother share, but something similar. Even as the crew will become like a giant family, the Starships themselves are also like a family."

It hadn't occurred to me that the AIs would consider themselves as being part of a family, but they apparently did. They also seemed to get along a lot better than my brother and I did when we were younger.

"We are not children. We share our data and explanations if we do not agree on something, which is very rare. Some simply have different preferences. The Starship Ezekiel prefers to trade in live animals since he finds it fascinating to watch them while they are on board, even if they are not the most profitable cargo."

I sat down in my chair as I listened to the Communications Officer clear us for take-off. We would reach the next planet within a handful of hours. Our detour had not taken us far out of our way, but there was nothing here that we wanted to trade for.

       I entered the trade hall and walked over to the food counter to order a tea. "You will want to speak with the bald man in the blue shirt."

I took my tea with a quiet thank you before turning around and walking in the man's direction. Various suppliers were in this hall, conducting their business and trades online while enjoying the comfortable accommodations that were offered here for free to such suppliers. Most were scattered about, talking amongst themselves, while some were sitting singly at a table by themselves.