Chapter 7

I wake up with the sun in my eyes, blinding me and forcing me to wake up fully.

I growl and roll out of bed. I walk into the bathroom to wake up. There's a tall pitcher of water in the room and I splash some of the cool liquid on my face. The cold pierces through the cloudy veil of sleep and I feel awake and ready to face the day. I walk out again and look for something to wear. The closet has two options: long black leggings and a gold tunic, or a black and gold dress. I scoff at the dress before donning the tunic and leggings. Both fit like a glove and are made of a soft, cotton-like material.

I quickly braid my hair into a tight cord. I've learned from experience that the first thing people go for in a fight is the hair. Airre wakes up and flies drearily over to sit on my shoulder. Yet again, she falls asleep. Hair done, dragon on shoulder and I'm ready to go.

I am two steps out the door before realizing I had forgotten to put shoes on. Sighing, I grab my woolen socks, pull them on, and slip on my boots. Just for fun, I strap on the throwing knife holder onto my left thigh. I make sure the knives are secure in it and leave, closing the door quietly behind me. Lurking in the shadows, I make my way to the dining hall.

No one seems to notice me as I silently dart from shadow to shadow. The dining hall is quieter than usual when I walked in. The line for food is short and I quickly grab my breakfast. I take a bowl of porridge flavored with honey and milk, an apple, and a glass of water.

It's too early for many people to be up and I relish the silence. Alex and Jason are already up, and I walk at a leisurely pace to sit with them. Jason looks up as I approach, and pushes a bowl towards me. In it is warm milk, and there's a note under it.

Liora,

Last night, I noticed that Airre wasn't in her nest. This is normal for the first few nights but she should eventually get used to sleeping in unfamiliar nests. Here's her breakfast for today.

Hope you slept well,

Berian

Well, I thought that was nice of him. I set the bowl on the ground near my feet and Airre fell on it ravenously. Before long, it is all gone and she seemed content to sit and let us pet her. I eat in a thoughtful silence. The porridge is a tiny bit spicy, the milk refreshing, and the apple crisp. I had just taken the last bite when a rush of people came in. The hall was no longer quiet as friends talked about their first day and the mages showed off new skills.

All the older students smiled knowingly and watched the newbies perform their little tricks. One third-year water mage even started showing the others how to make a globe of water in their hands. He had his students' unwavering attention as he coached them gently. One particular boy got it down real quick and was soon trying to make the globe move. The hall was alight with laughter and shouting - that is, until the professors came in. A long line, nearly stretching out into the hall, they stared at us with an even look. None of them talked but everyone quieted down anyway.

One in blue robes stepped forward and spread his arms wide. "Welcome. To a new year at the Academy!" He was met with many cheers and Airre was shaken, taking her perch on my shoulder again.

"I hear we are graced with the presence of a very special student." Here we go again, I think to myself. "Liora please come up here, I'd like to meet you."

I sigh and stand, Airre on my neck as usual. I meander through the crowds and stop only once, to give the bully from the other day an evil glare. He glares right back and Airre doesn't like it. Her back arches and her forked tongue slides out in a quiet snarl. She didn't relax at all, even when we were on the stage. When the blue-robed man held out his hand for me to shake, she went as far as to hiss loudly and take a swipe at it. The blue-robed man merely smiled and laughed a loud, booming laugh.

"I think this one's gonna be a fighter! I can't wait to see what you will be able to do in a year." The last part was directed at me alone and I walked dazedly back to my seat. What did he mean?