Chapter 12

Terra was thinking about all the times she fought with Matt as a kid, barely slapping him and crying because she had. All the times Amethyst had punched him in the stomach. To be fair, he'd pulled their hair when they didn't do what he wanted.

But that was long before now, when Terra wished for the first time she had a gun. This was the first time she hadn't felt safe.

"Stand down," she said to the soldiers. She was queen, after all. Queen as of an hour and a half ago. An hour and a half ago she'd been walking down the aisle, and things had suddenly changed completely.

"Our loyalties don't lie with you," said one of the soldiers. "You're about to abandon this planet."

He was right. She was. She should have known Matt wouldn't bring just any soldiers. He brought his own.

"Papers, Terra," said Matt, smirking.

"No," she said.

"I can't do much to your friends," he said, eyes flitting to Ezzy. "And I wouldn't. A military officer aligning with a rebel group however...I can't say no harm will come as I try to uphold inter-planetary law."

"How noble," said Amethyst.

"Matt, let us through," Terra said. "Maybe they'll leave, but I sure don't need to. I'll stay make you pay. Move your soldiers."

"Married to someone breaking the law? Assisting people breaking the law? Terra, none of you can leave, and that's not an option," he said. "Hand over the papers-"

"You have no proof of my role, and I am the sole heir to the throne of Jupiter," said James, nearly interrupting him. He gently moved Ian aside and climbed the ladder in two burdened steps, hoisting himself and Cyclone onto the neatly trimmed grass. The guns followed him. "According to the Gomomna Code of 2702, royalty cannot harm other royalty, not in violation of law, in their dominion without promoting aerial warfare. I believe me, Miss Edelweiss, and Prince Cirrus, though unconscious, are free to step out without fear of being shot. Correct?"

He caught his breath as Matt bit his bottom lip- he was nervous. He of course, looked calculating, but Terra knew better. "If you board the ship, we shoot," he said as Daisy climbed slothlike up the ladder. She'd gone sheet-white at the sight of guns.

"Got it," said James. "I also believe Miss Solum has committed no treasonous act."

"Terra holds treason in her hand," said Matt. "Give me the papers."

"Not Mrs. Khione, sir," said James. Terra smiled a little at that, and noticed how well James conducted himself. She'd taught him well. "Your other sister. The one who's title will remain intact?"

Matt gestured to Amethyst. "Lift her up, then."

Once Amethyst was set on the grass, Matt offered a hand down to Ezzy. "My advisor?"

"What are you going to do, fire me?" she asked, eyebrow raised. "I know everything, Matthew. The press is a phone call away."

He looked almost pained as he helped her up the ladder, standing in front of her once she was up. "Anyone else with diplomatic immunities?"

"I think that's everybody," said Ian. "Now I'm going up, and we're going to discuss this like adults, though you've only got a year's experience."

Matt turned pink as Terra climbed the ladder. She made sure to give all the soldiers dirty looks, noticing they were the same soldiers she usually saw Matt with. Good, he wasn't getting anyone new.

Ian followed her closely. "Now, papers," said Matt. "They're in your dress- I saw your request for a pocket."

Terra noticed the ship, about fifty feet away, invisible from inside the hatch. They were in the hedge maze, where she knew about a dozen ships were docked. They shouldn't have been caught. Artemisia McCourt should've still been talking to him. Terra should've signed the coronation papers at the reception. Now Ezzy was pulling them silently from her jacket.