Charming

The first thing I remembered was the taste of ale in my mouth as the effects of the apple finally wore off. How long had it been? Was Master all right? Was he still annoyed with me? I sat up, dazed, as strong hands lifted me bridal style. I heard cheering and clapping. Where on Earth was I? I couldn't see Nurse anywhere. I gasped in worry shadowed by delight. I was out of the tower. Excitement coursed through my veins and I beamed up at the stranger. He smiled, carefully setting me down on my feet, and I was savouring  the new experience of grass between my toes when there was the sound of pots and pans and he was suddenly on one knee.
"A knight in shining armour," I breathed, remembering the villains of the stories Nurse would always tell me. He lifted his chiseled face towards me, and the sunlight flashed off his helmet - or teeth, I couldn't tell - blinding me. I covered my face, worry beginning to set in. He chuckled.
"No need to be bashful, fair damsel."
Where was my Master? I moved to ask the knight but he asked me his question first.
"Will you marry me, maiden?" I covered my mouth, my voice dropping to a whisper.
"But I don't even know you." I extended a hand to him,  and he took it, rising.
"I'm Kessa,  what's your-"
In one swift moment, he embraced me, lifting me off my feet and swinging me around. The audience applauded. Mortified, I tried to correct matters before they got out of hand.
"You misunderstand me, Sir... "
I waited for him to complete his name but he only smiled and waved at the crowd.  He still hadn't put me down and it was starting to irritate me because I was perfectly capable of standing and...and I wanted to feel the grass again. He mounted me on his stallion, and we rode off into the sunset. He was...singing? His breath smelled like ale.
"Welcome to the beginning of your happily ever after."
My eyes widened in realization and horror. This was no knight. It was far, far worse. This was a prince. And not just any prince. Prince Charming.

You may not have noticed but I've started posting excerpts from my other stories as short stories. I'd say you should go check them out, but much like the Earth, they're kind of a mess right now. Much love!!