Under Pressure

"I want two guards outside this door, all the time," Tindale whispered gruffly into O'Hara's ear. "If the riders have to pee, they are to be accompanied to the head. And, only one at a time." He leveled his gaze at his XO to underline he was giving an order.

O'Hara nodded. "Understood, skipper."

"The SEALs are the real threat," Tindale told him.

O'Hara nodded again. "Understood."

"Captain Ishida asked that we don't let the riders off the boat until he's met with us," Tindale told him. "He's coming aboard when we tie up. I have great admiration for the way he handled himself in negotiations between his side and ours. I trust him."

O'Hara nodded. "But, has he told you what's on his mind?"

"Not yet. But, if I was a gambling man, I'd wager it concerns the two Japanese nationals."

O'Hara shifted on his feet. "Skipper, can I be honest?"

Tindale frowned. He didn't need a disagreement with Frank at this point. "Go ahead."

"I don't think this is a good idea. We should unload the riders together with their toys and let the Aussies deal with them. Let Captain Ishida discuss his problem with the locals. Let it be their problem. Not ours."

"You're right," Tindale said and chewing his bottom lip and staring back at O'Hara longer than necessary.

The XO shook his head. He had been with the Skipper for more than four years. It was long enough to get to know the man considering most of their time together was spent inside the confines of the boat. Hell, even their wives were best friends. That alone told O'Hara the two men were probably closer than either would like to admit.

"Christ! You've made up your mind," O'Hara said. "You have, haven't you?"

"Trust me on this, Frank," Tindale said.

No navy band greeted the USS Texas when it docked. Instead, they were met by a contingent of the Australian Special Forces.

Members of Tactical Assault Group East held their automatic rifles loosely across their chests as they waited for the impressive American submarine to tie up. They stood where they were watching as the JS Ikuchi dropped anchor in the harbor. They waited for their orders, and the tension among the soldiers grew sharper with every passing minute.

The crew of the USS Texas had finished securing the gangplank as the Japanese rubber reconnaissance craft drew up to the starboard side. On the shore, the commandos watched in puzzled silence as American crew members escorted the captain the JS Ikuchi and a tall thickset man aboard the USS Texas.

In the captain's stateroom, Tindal's smile was warm and genuine as he shook hands with Captain Ishida. The big man accompanying Ishida bowed stiffly to the two American officers.

"Commander, it's been a long time," Tindale said in Japanese.

"Yes, it has," Ishida replied, and he switched to English. "I am sorry for any inconvenience my request caused you and your crew." He was both pleased and relieved to see the bond between him and his old friend remained strong.

Detective Akira Matsumoto had the muscular build of a judo practitioner and the bull neck to match. From the Security Planning Division of Japan's National Police Agency Security Bureau, Matsumoto was a career cop through and through. As if to prove as much he proudly wore the insignia of the Japanese Police Department on his lapel. He never enjoyed traveling outside of Japan, and he had discovered well before the JS Ikuchi crossed the equator that he liked submarines even less. The discomfort had caused him to lose whatever sense of humor he retained after receiving his assignment. His characteristic scowl had deepened so much it threatened to become a permanent feature on the man's unhappy face.