Chapter Six

When I woke, my entire being felt like I was the healthiest, happiest morning person in the world. My body was warm- not just the surface warm it usually was, but warm all the way through. Mike's arm was wrapped protectively around me. His gentle snores softly blew my hair against my shoulder.

I knew it was late morning. It was as though all my senses had been enhanced. I sighed happily. Something felt different with me this morning. I laid there looking at the rich greens on the walls.

What's missing? I did a mental check, besides my clothes, I couldn't think of anything. I suddenly realized I had no hunger, no thirst, and no ill effects from drinking from Mike. Why? Why did they lie? Did they lie or is it just me? I shifted uncomfortably next to Mike, his arm tightened around me.

I felt deep inside that they had lied to me. Hurt welled in my chest.

What else have they lied to me about? My hurt shifted to anger. I didn't want to go into this new life with lies. I decided that when I got home I'd tell Dom everything and find out the truth for myself.

I shifted again, trying to control my temper. Mike's eyes opened. He smiled sleepily up at me. His eyes blinked shut again- then quickly open.

“Good morning. I thought I was dreaming there for a sec.” His voice smoothed away my anger.

“Good morrow to you too, good sir.” I laughed at him.

“Maybe I'm still dreaming. I think I need a kiss to make sure I'm not.” He eyed me with suspicion as he tried to hide his smile.

“Oh, is that so?” I laughed.

“Yep. One has to be sure that one is awake.” He tried to look all innocent.

“If that's the reason...” I turned towards him, placed a hand on either side of his face and pulled him to me.

My lips gently brushed against his. A hunger clawed at my body. I pulled him to me. My mouth moved in a hungry, fierce way. I could taste the desire on his tongue. My fangs slid down silently. I nicked his lip as he pressed them harder against my bruised mouth. His blood tasted sweet, I could sense all his feelings. His thoughts flowed into my mind as I gently licked his bottom lip. I knew he wanted everything I did, but he wouldn't give into selfish indulgence when it meant his people. I felt his love for me, it was palpable. His desire was the strongest item in his mind.

I pulled back and gently kissed his cheek on each side. I looked into his eyes.

Mike? I sent the silent message.

Emma? His eyes widened with the mental intrusion.

Yep, this is how I communicate with those around me. I put my hand on his cheek.