Chapter 29

With Charlotte spending time with Natalya at the house, Audrey and Lucas were able for a week, before the busyness of the Fourth of July parties, to spend eight hours each day going over everyone's files. There hadn't been a pattern in Natalya's times of overlapping with Syndicate leaders or sympathizers and so they moved on.

The more they worked together the more Audrey felt comfortable with Lucas and started to enjoy being around him. She hadn't realized exactly how alone she felt until she was able to be herself with him, which she started to do slowly. Lucas's flirty, charismatic personality stayed outside the secure room and Audrey found herself liking more and more the focused yet easy going Lucas.

The Fourth of July parties arrived and pulled them from their ever consuming list of files to review. The day before the parties started their work was cut short, Lucas needing to help oversee the setup for the next day's brunch.

Audrey had been surprised at the fact that she felt almost disappointed that they wouldn't be working longer, and fought any other feelings that had been behind the disappointment. She had gone home and spent the rest of the day by the pool with Charlotte and Natalya, coming up with crazy amazing dates Lucas had taken her on and enjoying the last moments of peace before the party storm.

The next morning Audrey had debated on three different dresses and finally went with a summery red cotton dress, feeling that it looked the most patriotic. The Astor's and her drove over together and found the Danes has spared no expense to make the first party fantastic. Tables with large umbrellas were spread over the back lawn and each table was unique in decoration, though all of them America themed. Servers moved around in bright hues of red, white and blue serving mimosas and bloody Marys.

Charlotte was quickly engulfed by Ashley and Natalya and the rest of the Astor family dispersed to their own associations. Audrey wandered, her eyes searching for Lucas, figuring it was the most natural thing for her to do, but also just wanting to talk to him. She found him out by the pool laughing with Paul, Micky, Declan and James. She found a smile on her lips before she had to think about it as she approached the group.

"Hey guys." Audrey said, sliding in between Lucas and Declan.

"Hey beautiful." Lucas said, putting his arm around her waist and kissing her.

"You know just because we're boyfriend and girlfriend doesn't mean you can kiss me whenever you want." Audrey joked.

"Um pretty sure that's exactly what it means." Lucas said.

"You guys being all cutesy makes me sick." Declan said, smiling.

"Liddy not falling for your pick up lines?" Audrey quipped.

"She'll come around eventually." Declan said.

"I wouldn't hold your breath Dec, she's still pretty hung up on Lucas here." Micky said.

"I give that a couple more days and she'll be over it, besides she'll need a date to at least some of the parties and that is how I make my move." Declan said.

Audrey smiled at Declan's never ending confidence to attract any girl. She was still smiling when her eyes shifted to James. His face smooth and impassive but Audrey knew he was finding it hard to be around Lucas and her, in the way his eyes didn't shift from Lucas's hand on her waist.

Audrey pulled her attention back to Lucas when she heard him laugh. She listened as he easily talked over the difference in yacht choices, having decided that he was going to get one. Audrey stayed quiet not having anything to add to the conversation. Eventually it was decided that they should find the girls and get something to eat.