40: The Cat with Purple Fur

The illusion around the town of Tempestmist had fallen

The illusion around the town of Tempestmist had fallen. Its true character revealed. Atop the stage in the center of the town's square stood Owen, myself, the Portly Brothers, and Zeno, the tailor. We watched and waited for Vanity to make her next move. The Shadows surrounding the stage moaned and reached up at our feet through gaps in the floorboards. I moved closer to Owen trying to avoid being touched. Owen's eyes darted all around the square looking for a way out, but he saw none. They were surrounded, trapped. The Portly Brother's whimpered and hid behind Zeno's large green coat, but unlike the other members of the group, Zeno appeared calm. He had a plan.

"You know, Vanity," said Zeno amused. "Even though you had me trapped for ten years and removed all my memories, I still remained one step ahead of you."

"Whatever could you mean?" asked Vanity. A twinge of puzzlement broke across her face. "No one can outwit me, the Great Deceiver." Vanity started to move forward, but Zeno was ready for her.

"Vanity is always weakened by pride. Now it is time this tailor makes some adjustments to your wardrobe," Zeno raised his hands in the air. Vanity's dress tightened around her neck, arms, and legs, stiffening as though made of stone. Vanity froze in place; her eyes widened.

"Why can't I move!" she screamed. "What have you done to me?" The tailor laughed.

"You can remove a memory from a person, but you cannot remove a talent. Even when they forgot their purpose, these hands continued to out smart you." Zeno turned to Owen and myself. "Now is our chance to run. As long as she wears the clothes I made for her, Vanity cannot harm us." The tailor stuck out his tongue at Vanity. "Must have been too much starch.".

"Curse you, tailor!" screamed Vanity as she shook in her hardened dress. "Curse you and your magic thread. Shadows get them!"

The Shadows began ascending the stage. Owen reacted immediately by activating his WEAKs. Yellow light appeared and out popped his daggers. With each swing of his blade, a Shadow burst in a cloud of sand.

While Owen fought off the Shadows rising up on one side of the stage, Zeno took care of the rest. He jumped and twisted into the air. The long sleeves of his coat extended and flattened turning into giant green knives. I watched amazed as Zeno playfully sliced through hoards of encroaching Shadows with his enchanted coat. Regaining his memories was the best thing to happen to him. Zeno was no longer the timid tailor I had seen hiding in the shop. Fierceness reflected in his eyes and confidence showed in his stride. His level of crazy still remained as high as ever for with each successful blow he inflicted on a Shadow, he would make a funny sound. "Yah! Wooo! Zing!"

Feeling helpless, I tried to fight off the one or two straggling Shadows that happened to dodge Owen and Zeno's attacks with Vanity's sword. I swung it's heavy blade at the Shadows, missing half the time. The Portly Brothers unable to determine their position in the fight, cowered in each others arms as Shadows hissed passed them.