Chapter 1 - Just Another Manic Tuesday

Amazing trailer made by aflyingwhale.

Beautiful drawing of Lana, made by the talented Liv Collins (https://livcollinsart

Beautiful drawing of Lana, made by the talented Liv Collins (https://livcollinsart.tumblr.com)

"Richard, are you kidding me? No!" Lana slammed her hands on the desk in front of her and leaned over it. Her boss grimaced and raised defensive hands while throwing a worried glance at the open door behind her. She didn't even bother to check if anyone listened in. The entire floor could hear her for all that mattered. "No way I'll waste my time on this again!"

"Come on, Lana, take it down a notch. We all agree that you're in the best position to handle Michelle and – "

"We? Who's we? You, Takemura and Yamamoto? Oh, color me surprised! Michelle's got all of you by the balls, hasn't she? She didn't like your results! And now you have no choice but get on your knees and lick her boots."

Richard's wrinkled face flushed red and he stood up to lean over his desk. They were almost nose to nose now. "Watch it, Martin!" he spat from behind clenched teeth. "I'm fed up with that foul mouth of yours. I'm not asking you a favor, I'm telling you to do it. See the difference?"

With a snort, Lana crossedher arms over her chest, staring outside the windows behind Matherson. The sun was setting over the Roppongi business district, and the Tokyo tower was lit up. Shit! It must be past six already, I'm going to be late at the dojo! Dammit, I've got no time for this kind of playground mess.

"Oh, don't worry, I'm not daft. You don't have to add 'insubordination' to 'hysterical' in your little book – no, please, spare me the offended looks. I know what you all call me. Just because I like to call a rat a rat and won't sugarcoat it for you." She gave the manager of their branch office a disgusted look. "So basically, I'm going to have to babysit her and do all the damage control for you. Right when I'll be wrapping up the executive report for HQ and during the final rounds of the Daihanko-Dos Santos talks. Neat!"

The middle-aged man moved his arms to mirror her posture before catching himself and placing his hands on his hips. It would have been a good power pose if only she didn't know he had nothing to back it up. It cast a cruel light on his posh beer belly though.

"Well, feel free to see it this way. Or you could take it as a good opportunity to gain points with our CFO. Could be useful the day you want to go back to Montreal, or to ask for a transfer to Rome. When was the last time you went home?"

Rubbing her temples, Lana took a deep breath. "I'm not leaving anytime soon, certainly not to Italy, and Michelle is the last person on Earth I want to please. Let's agree that she's a bully, always doing her best to be unhappy with something just for the pleasure of burning down the house." Matherson grunted his reluctant agreement. "Okay, I've got to be on my way. Any chance you'll send me something useful in the coming days? Whatever data that riled her up so much? I mean, she won't be here until the end of April, but I don't want to wait until the last minute to tackle it."