Thirty Six: Trentasei [re-written 17/08/21]

[RE-WRITTEN]

Liliana shifted in the stiff metal chair, crossing her legs as she reached for the cool glass of lemonade that had just been placed on the matching wire table in front of her. The sun was scorching today and Liliana was sweltering in her jeans and strappy vest. She couldn't understand how Marcello had returned to wearing his usual suits - instead of the more casual attire he had been sporting in Italy - and yet he didn't seem fazed by the heat at all. He still looked as put together as he had when he had showered and dressed this morning.

"I heard you were in attendance of your grandfather's soiree last night," Barbato rasped, his fingers stiffly curving around his own glass of juice. A teapot lay untouched as it continued to brew in the centre of the table, two empty cups beside it, likely for both Barbato and herself.

Marcello scoffed into his espresso. He was turned away from her, having no room for his longer legs underneath the tiny outdoor table of the bustling café - of which he spent most of his time scrutinising. This was not location he would have chosen for them, of that Liliana was certain. The only reason they were here, was because Barbato requested it.

Barbato had secured them a table away from the others, offering enough distance between them and the other patrons so that their conversation would remain private, not that it seemed to comfort Marcello at all, as she caught him scowling once again at the table nearest to them. Liliana had thought that the number of armed guards under Marcello's payroll right now, would have had him lower his guard, but apparently not. Not to mention the fact that Barbato certainly had his own guards stationed in the near vicinity.

"I take it you did not enjoy yourselves?" Barbato chuckled dryly at his grandson.

Liliana rolled her eyes at Marcello, explaining, "Meeting with my grandfather is always interesting. Though I won't lie, I was certainly relieved to leave early."

"And why is that?" Barbato queried in his usual wispy voice.

"It had become clear to me that, since my marriage to Marcello, my relationship with Valentino has become strained." Liliana hadn't meant to sound so bitter, but it was hard to hide it when she was becoming so tired with all of the paternal figures of her life.

Mercello's hand found hers on her lap, fingers curling around hers in a supportive grip. Barbato didn't miss the action but he held back any form of reaction.

"Valentino does not approve of the union?" The question was directed towards her but it was Marcello who spoke up in response. He hadn't said much since they had sat down, besides the usual pleasantries, seemingly content with allowing Barbato and Liliana to lead the conversation.

"Ironically, he had seemed rather pleased with the news of our engagement, so his new attitude is certainly strange, but not entirely surprising. I've always respected Valentino; he's a driven, ruthless man that clawed his way to the top and has succeeding in holding that position for decades. Perhaps he feels threatened now that Liliana acts as a connection between Marco and I, and the possibility of an alliance exists," Marcello drawled, amusement colouring his tone. "I'm sure the image of his only son, Antonio, grovelling at the feet of the D'Onofrio's for so long doesn't help. Marco is now the only hope for the continuation of a strong Fiorenza bloodline, and if my marriage to Liliana throws his control over Marco into question... it's understandable he may hold some hostility towards me, and therefore Liliana."

Liliana's eyes widened, her surprise visible in her expression. She hadn't realised how much thought Marcello had put into this since their meeting with Valentino last night, and she was certainly surprised to hear even the smallest mention of an alliance between him and Marco. The last she had witnessed, the two men could barely stand one another.