26

-Derek-

Pain, anguish, and depression. That's all I've ever felt after my mother left me at age nine. And then once again when Kimberly, the girl I began to care for was killed by my own father.

When I laid eyes on her for the first time, seventeen- a new Fragile Heart Syndrome patient- Alison Margeret Rose- beautiful, fierce, and clearly a fighter, I knew right away that she might be the one to take away my hidden pain, my anguish, and my depression.

I was right- she did. She did even more than that. She replaced everything with joy, happiness, and mostly love.

And then she went and died in my arms, just like Kimberly did. Shattering my heart once again, and no one else will ever be able to fix it. Love is a curse when it comes to me.

The heart monitor is still, but I don't care. I ignored all the doctors who said there's no hope. I screamed at them until my throat ached. And I told them that they can't give up on her, that I won't give up on her, that there still might be a chance to restart her dead heart... - To keep on hoping.

So that's why I'm sitting beside her hospital bed- in case- in case --- she does wake up.

She's beautiful, even without the pink in her cheeks. Her long, honey-brown waves fanning around her face like a veil.

Taking her small, delicate hand in mine, I'm surprised to find warmth there.

"Doctors!," I cry. "Doctors emergency!"

"What it is?" Dr. Monroe appears in the doorway, dark bags underlining his eyes.

"Her, her hand is warm. There's still life in her." My words tumble out of my mouth, my heart racing widely in between my ribcage, ready to burst.

"That's impossible," he says.

Stupid words that are going to make me punch him. Well then--- I quickly grab the machine that might be the thing to revive her and place it over her heart. Now, how do all these dials work?

I look back at Dr. Monroe, who's still standing in the doorway, watching me like an idiot. "Well, are you going to help me figure this out?" My voice begins to rise. "We can't wait much longer..."

"But we've already tried to jumpstart her heart. I'm sorry Derek, but she's gone and nothing will change that."

My eyes begin to tear. "Then explain to me why her hand is warm. And would it kill you to try one more time?" I shout. "Damn, just what do I press?"

He flinches at my words. "Here, let me do it."

"About time."

I step aside and Dr. Monroe takes my place. With blurry eyes, I watch him get down to work.

Now God, please let me be right.