Chapter II

Azrael sits tightly coiled around my feet as I sniffle against my knees. My head is buried in my kneecaps, my hands tightly wrapped around my shins. After everything calmed down and I was finally able to get a moment of peace, I didn't really know what to do. Azrael stared at me for a long time as I slid down my wall, my breath coming out rapidly. I knew I was about to have a panic attack, and the only thing that could really help me was my parents.

Grim sleeps soundly on my bed, showing me he obviously trusts me, but I don't really care. I can tell Azrael is worried about me by the way his tail flicks back and forth every time I suck in a big breath of air.

I didn't expect myself to cry like a big baby seconds after Grim fell asleep, but it just happened. How was a human not expected to cry in this situation? Grim always tells me humans are weak because of their emotions, and I am just now realizing why. I'm letting all the turmoil of the past few months finally walk over me.

I'm in deep shit simply because I am a part of an apparent prophecy. I didn't even think prophecies were real, especially with one focused on me. It makes me want to anxiously tear out all my hair. I don't only have angels after me, but the God of Life. Hell, the angels are after me because of the God of Life. He wants me dead for some reason. I have a feeling the sole purpose of him wanting to kill me is because of that stupid prophecy. I don't even know what it is. I just know I'm a part of it.

I feel like a kid. There's a conversation going on and whenever I try to join in, I get told: "This is an A and B conversation, C your way out of it". I just wish I could tell them to shove some breadsticks up their butt. There is nothing more annoying than not knowing something, especially when it is a life and death situation.

A tear falls down and lingers on my jaw for a fraction of a second before sinking to the floor. Azrael twitches at the noise of it hitting the carpet, and seconds later, I hear his ominous voice in my head.

"I do not understand why you are crying," he whispers softly. I raise my face so I can look at him, and he tilts his head curiously.

"I'm crying because of the shit that is my life," I tell him pointedly. I sound like an angsty teen who just got told they couldn't go to a party... actually I sound like my pathetic sister. A sudden rage pulses through me as I think of Ravenna. How come she couldn't be cursed with this dumb branding on her chest? How come I got stuck with the rumored Patch of Death. For God's sake, why was I the chosen one?

What power do I have? Like Grim and countless other immortals say, I'm a human. To be exact, I'm a frail, weak, and overall just tiny girl. I look about a third of the angel's size outside, so how the hell am I supposed to fight if needed? I simply have no chance.

"Your life?" Azrael whispers in my mind. "I did not have a life-life until minutes ago, yet I still am grateful to be alive. I think you should be too."

I stare at him for a moment before biting my lip. "But I'm not, Azrael. The whole reason I am even alive right now is because of Grim--or your master."

Azrael tilts his head to the other side now, his tail flicking softly over my toes as if trying to comfort me. "Then I think you should be grateful for him. My master is a stoic and cold person. I haven't seen him this close to someone since his brother."

"His brother?" I'm now the one tilting my head. "Who is that?"

Azrael realizes his mistake and his green eyes widen. "I do not think it would be a bright idea for me to tell you. Grim--as you call him--still does require some privacy. I should not tell all his secrets to you."