XVI

Maure's father didn't come home from work. Instead, peacekeepers swarmed the house, arresting Maure and her mother. The toddler sister was sent to a children's home in one of the districts. Other than her, the girl didn't know what happened to the Crane family after their fall from grace. Probably dead.

The avoxes were rounded up and relocated to different workplaces. The stronger ones were sent underground, to the Transfer. The scrawny fourteen-year-old girl was sent to work as a server to the Gamemakers.

The 75th Hunger Games started soon enough. Avoxes don't watch the Games, but when one's serving the Gamemakers, one ends up standing in the background as the announcement of the Quell plays.

The victors were sent back into the arena. The announcement meant little to the girl then, as she was still safe from the Games. Her sister and grandmother would still be safe, if her patron had kept his promise. The girl's worry increased daily over whether or not they were still well kept.

The arena was designed to be extra difficult that year. She didn't learn the specifics, but it had something to do with a clock. The Gamemakers seemed to be under extra stress, and she served trays of alcohol many times. But one night, everything changed.

Revenge of the AvoxOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara