Chapter 1: Aria Yami's Origin

Just once, Aria saw a real shooting star. It wasn't during summer vacation; it was from the window of her house. For people living in a town with crisp air and truly dark nights, shooting stars are not uncommon, but unfortunately, Lastonbell City, where she had lived for all fourteen years of her life, has neither of those qualities. Even on a clear night, the most that can be seen with the naked eye is second magnitude stars.

But, late one midwinter night, when she happened to glance outside of her window on a whim, she definitely saw it. On that deep night without many stars, the city lights formed a pallid shroud covering the sky. And in an instant, it was cut through by a quick flash of light. Her soon-to-be 8th-grade self thought childishly, "Must make some kind of wish"...which up to that point was fine, but the wish that appeared in her mind was, "I wish my powers would awaken", with a feeling of pled and ambition.

As much as aria loved the beauty that was the starry night sky; she decided it was time to head to bed. Tomorrow she hoped would be the day... the day where her life from here on out would change.

_______________________________

Upon waking, Aria burrowed herself into the warm, soft sheets. Suddenly reminisces of last night come calling back to her. Slowly and reluctantly, she uncovers her face. she blinks, closes her eyes, and blinks again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind her. she sits up, drags her feet off the bed, and rubs her knuckles into her eyes. Aria stretches her arms above her head and yawns. As she watches her legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.

Deciding that life wasn't going to wait for her to get ready on her own time she gets up from her silken mattress. She looks at the mirror. If a cat had eaten her hair and puked it back out, then let it dry in the sun, it would look just the same; the tangle would take hours to brush out.

"Aria! Someone here's for you." A sing-song tone calls from downstairs, making aria have to respond back with a rough tone.

"Coming mom!" As the thoughts of who could it be rushed through Aria's head, she decides to not think about it and see whom it is instead of speculation.

________________________________

As she descends down getting further to the last step, she hears faint voices coming from the entrance of the door. It's soon revealed that the mysterious person was aria's best friend, Hanako Akemi.

"Oh! Hi Aria... I...came to wish you good luck on the hero's examination!" Her friend manages to mutter, as she fidgets with her hands clearly not knowing what to do with them.

"...H-Hanako! Thank you!" The girl smiles, her voice cracking from the sheer happiness of Hanako's sweet words. Deciding the best way to show her appreciation was to give the shy girl a big hug.

The hug didn't last too long as Aria notices her friend's discomfort, deciding the best option was to pull back.

"You're very welcome... um... and don't worry! We'll be cheering you on!"

Aria knew that even if she was what they would call a "late bloomer" or "late to the party" Hanako and her mother was always there by her side.

However, Aria was broken out of her thoughts at the sound of laughter that was coming from both sides of her.

"Also... nice bed hair." Hanako was doubled over with laughter and pointing feebly with a shaky finger; While her mom's shoulders were shaking in silent laughter.

"Hanako!" She turns her head to the side to avert her gaze, but the sudden rosiness of her cheeks gave her away.

"Ok, ok... I'll be leaving then."