II

"Well," Elmira said. "I apologize for that outburst. She's always been rather shy with strangers, but - " Her bulging eyes reeled from one wall of the room to another, then down to her own fidgeting hands. Sarah realized that she hadn't made eye contact for the duration of this introduction. "I'm afraid Daniel is napping, so why don't I show you to your room?" she offered.

"Alright," Sarah replied, unsure of a more appropriate response. Up a wrought-iron staircase, down a dark and cramped hall, they passed door after door after shut-and-bolted door.

"This will be your room," Elmira threw open a door toward the end of the hall. "Candace Kinney, that's our housekeeper, should have it all ready for you." Without stepping inside, she mumbled some excuse and left hurriedly, presumably to have a word with Emily. Someone would send for her when dinner was ready.

Sarah unlatched her suitcase, which had been left by the maid on a simple twin bed, far nicer than the cot she was accustomed to. She couldn't wait to get unpacked and have a look around the house on her own. She had always been the curious type and she was never really afraid of getting caught, especially since she never got caught.

The lid of her luggage flipped back to reveal a crumpled leaf of paper, a single word scrawled in chid-like handwriting: LEAVE. Sarah thought for a moment and shrugged. It was written by Emily, no doubt. That child certainly was odd, but Sarah couldn't blame her. She tossed the note into a wastebasket and went about her business.

Dinner that night was short lived. Apparently, Daniel wasn't feeling well and Emily was on punishment, although Sarah really didn't understand why, so they all went to sleep early that night. Sarah usually kept to herself, so the dusk curfew didn't really bother her, but she couldn't help but think what an uninviting household this was.

The next morning, before the crack of dawn, Sarah was asked to go into town for a few groceries. In a hushed voice, Mrs. Dalton explained that the housekeeper was beginning to feel her age, although she'd never dare admit it. Sarah accepted the task with a smile, although to her Miss Kinney was beginning to seem more useless with each interaction.

Brick shops lined either side of Main Street, vying for the attention of passerby and tempting them with their goods through windows that sparkled in the sun. Sarah focused on the goal at hand, removing a list of items from her pocket. Marty's Food Mart appeared to be a good place to start. Once inside, she almost instantly regretted this decision. Her entrance was met with stares and whispers all around. Only one shopper was bold enough to speak, however - a housewife in a regal purple blazer.

"You must be the new help at the Dalton place," she greeted.

Sarah couldn't tell if these words were meant to be welcoming or intimidating. "Yes, that's right."

"Where are you from, dear?"

"Well, my family lives in Thomaston, but I was born -"

"Oh, just as I suspected - she's a Clarence County girl," the woman commented to a bystander on the next aisle.

"Why yes, I am from Clarence County," Sarah responded, "and I obviously have better manners than you." A pretentious attitude was one thing Sarah could not stand.

The woman seemed unfazed. "With that attitude, you won't last long around Lady Dalton," she said, moving a finger in a line across her own neck in cut-throat motion.

The rest of the shoppers fell silent. The cashier, a middle-aged man who stood behind a counter nearby, spoke up. "Come on, Sandra, that's enough."

"I'm just giving some friendly advice," Sandra continued. "Ask that Sanford girl. Oh, that's right -"

"Sandra -"