O N E

***The first few chapters of this book are free. The complete book is available for purchase on Amazon for only $3.99. My next novel "All She Can Take" is free to read!***

"Shit." I jumped back from the stove. The small table rattled behind me as my ass barrelled into it. The orange juice shook and settled in the glass set next to empty plates the color of eggplant.

I threw my finger into my mouth and ran my tongue across the stinging. The grease popped another warning and I turned down the fire under the bacon.

"Turn down... that damn fire...going to burn... my whole house down." The growling voice meandered down the stairs and through the hallway to my ears. It reached me with less volume but ample bite. I could see her curling her lip in disgust. Head shaking.

"My dad's house actually." I talked to the bacon. Not more than a whisper. I was dealing with a professional degrader with decades of disdain under her belt. No sense in trying to argue.

I scraped the eggs out of the skillet onto the plates. I left the bacon in a strainer in the sink, a napkin covering the bottom. I grabbed dull silver forks from the drawer. A door squeaked open upstairs.

I quickened my pace. Waffles out of the toaster. Syrup on the table. Bacon on the plates. I sat down as the footsteps neared. Dammit. Pepper. I leaped up and one giant step got me to the cabinet. I pulled the pepper shaker out and set it on the table.

I plopped back into my seat. The juice shook. The steps creaked under the weight of him. I glanced up at the clock. 7:16. He was like clockwork every morning. Showered and dressed by 7:15 then downstairs for breakfast. Took him about twelve minutes to finish his food before he grabbed his lunch out of the fridge and was out of the door to work. Everyday.

"Mmmm. What we got today?" He rounded the corner. I smiled and cleared my throat. I took on the persona of a polished Southern Belle.

"Well today Sir, we have a fine selection of Canadian bacon and eggs fresh from the coop." He plopped down in the only other chair at the tiny table.

"I do declare, you have outdone yourself lady Bri." He grabbed a piece of bacon and I followed suit. We lifted the pieces in the air and let them touch briefly before devouring it. It was delicious and the minor burn to my finger was worth it at this moment. I smiled as he reached for another piece.

"So, what's up for today?" He scooped a pile of eggs into his mouth.

"Chemistry quiz. And I have a presentation for English." I glanced down at my backpack. Did I pack my notes?

"Ok. You've got this. Just focus. Make eye contact and slow down when you talk." He pointed at me with a half eaten piece of waffle. I focused in on the eggs and nodded.

"You know your stuff Bri. Just gotta convince yourself of that."

"I know Dad." I didn't know. Not really anyway. But I'd pretend for him. He nodded and took a swig of juice.

"The nurse needs to leave early today so try to get here." He told me. My eyes rolled into my head and back down to the plate in front of me. I shook my head and sighed.

"Won't Chris be here?" I asked. He shoved more eggs in his mouth and met my gaze.

"No. He works tonight." I didn't respond. Mostly because any words that came out of my mouth would be rude. Harsh. Crude. I bit my lip in a physical attempt to handicap my mouth. He put his fork down.

"She's your mother." His plea fell on deaf ears.

"Your choice, not mine."

"Bri, cut it out." I was upsetting him. He rolled up his sleeves and leaned back. Breakfast was over. I glanced at the clock. 7:26. He'd be heading out soon. I sighed deeply.