Prologue - Territorial Dispute

Running with the pack was the most peaceful thing she had ever felt. The alpha was the pack leader and they followed him faithfully as they pursued their prey. Hunger drove the pack, hunger, and the need to survive.

Cana's mouth watered at the thought of fresh meat. In contradiction to what the humans believed, wolves didn't always catch their prey every time. Their pack, The Black Plateau Pack, the humans called them, had many unsuccessful hunts and so did the other packs. Hunting was hard for species such as theirs. This time though, this prey was theirs and they all knew it. There were many that were weak in this herd. They need only find the correct one.

Cana smashed down the excitement inside her firmly when she knew she thought the truth. Even one wolf's excitement could cost them their prey. The pack as one, had to stay completely focused or their prey might slip from their grasp.

The pack chased and observed the deer until their alpha spotted one that was weak. Its footsteps were short, instead of radiating strength like the others and they could smell the infection that flowed through its veins. Their Alpha finally went in for the first bite and the rest of the pack followed when the beast bellowed in fear and helplessness. As one, they latched onto the beast until they it collapsed in exhaustion and surrendered to its fate.

As soon as it was down, the pack stepped away and the two Alphas came forward. Alphas always ate first and any who disobeyed the rules were reminded who was really in charge. The pack waited in silence and with patience as the alpha pair ate their fill. The beta male and female then stepped forward and began eating.

Cana and the others waited with practice patience as the pair also ate their fill, only then did the rest of the pack come forward. The Omega would be the last to eat, but he was the social glue that kept the pack together. Even though he wasn't highly ranked, he still served a purpose in the pack. Every member, from the first rank to last, was important to the pack's survival. She had learned that over her many years surrounded by nature.

The wolves here could smell Cana wasn't a normal wolf. The Alpha's were always tense around her, but Cana had made it clear that she had no interest in their positions, so they tolerated her presence. All she wanted was to live as a wolf and escape the human world she had fled from. All she wanted was her little slice of the world, without humans and the pain of the emotions that came with them.

When she had eaten enough to satisfy her hunger, she moved away. As soon as the last middle-class wolves walked away, the omega finished off the leftovers, leaving only bone. Nothing was ever wasted from a kill. The scavengers would descend on the rest of it after the pack left. Such was the natural was of nature.

The wind shifted suddenly and when it did, the Alphas snarled. The pack immediately reacted. Smaller, but not any less threatening growls joined theirs. The pack was in danger and as one, they would face it, defending their home and family.

The pack's boundary had been breached and the scents of a foreign pack now drifted to them. A warning howl came from their Alpha male and the rest of the pack joined him. It was both a warning and a promise if the others didn't leave her packs territory.

The rival packs challenging howls returned to her packs as they drew near. Their intentions were obvious, and her pack readied for battle as nervous, but determined snarls and whimpers filled the air around her packs den.

They wanted her pack's territory for themselves. All too soon, she saw them. They had as many wolves as Cana's pack. About eight wolves strong. The territory within the park's grounds couldn't feed large packs and because of that, the size of the packs within the park were smaller to adjust to the lack of food.

When they drew near, her pack's Alpha led the charge. Cana jumped up and ran with her pack. This was their home, their territory. The enemy pack wouldn't take it without a fight. She and her pack would fight to the death if necessary. Fleeing meant surrendering the ripest hunting grounds in the park.

The opposing pack's plan of attack was immediately revealed. Together they headed straight for the heart of Cana's pack, their Alpha pair. The opposing pack knew if they could kill the pair, Cana's pack would fall, and the opposing packs territory would grow. It was also the same for Cana's pack, though, she thought.

Cana put on a burst of speed as soon as their packs met. She headed straight for the other pack's alpha male. She had picked him out easily, he had led the attack against her pack. Cana knew the moment he caught her human and wolf mixed scent. It caught him off guard and she used that to her advantage.

She sank her teeth into his neck, but she was forced to let go when his mate came for her. His yip of pain had drawn his mate like a beacon and alphas stuck together. This she knew from watching her own and had expected the rival female to come for her when she attacked.

Cana snarled at her as she charged her. Their teeth and claws raked each other as they fought. If Cana was a normal wolf, she was sure the rival female would overpower her. This female's muscles were thick and strong, and Cana wasn't as aged as her, leading to muscles that weren't as developed.

As they scuffled, Cana heard soft wines start to come from her pack. She immediately knew this skirmish wasn't going her packs way. The rival pack was overpowering her pack and some, realizing her pack's fate, fled.

A few of her pack mates darted out of the clearing. They headed for no man's land. The disputed land between the pack's lands. This angered her, but she knew ultimately, only one thing truly mattered, survival. Packs could regroup and take their homes back. Lives could not be brought back so easily.

The feeling of anger, as well as determination grew stronger inside Cana at the thought of again losing her family. She refused to give up so easily and stayed with the Alpha pair, refusing to leave their side. The pair would not flee the plateau. This territory and nowhere else would be there home. They would defend it to the death, and she would also by their side.

When she heard her Alpha female yip in pain, she turned with a snarl, ready to dislodge the offending wolf. When she turned though, an enemy wolf charged and ripped one of her legs out from under her. At the same time, more wolves charged the Alpha male. Cana's pack had lost and now their enemies were affirming their hold on this land by killing her pack's Alpha pair.

Cana managed to free her leg and looked towards her Alphas. Both were down, and their enemies had descended on them. Even for someone such as her, there were to many wolves. It was too late, and survival had kicked in, just like it had that night.

Realizing there was no other choice, she pushed herself to her feet and ran. Now that her Alphas were gone, survival is what mattered. Survival and finding her surviving packmates to regroup.

Pain immediately shot through her injured leg when she put weight on it, but she pushed herself forwards. Survive, instinct screamed at her mind as the enemy pack's paws beat in unison as they chased her.

No man's land. That was where she would be safe. The new rulers of Black Wolf Plateau would not risk losing their new home that had just been won. They would not pursue her past its barrier, and it was in sight. She could make it and she would survive.