16. Her Strawberry Ice-cream

TYLER'S POV 

There weren't many times in my life when my happiness was immeasurable

There weren't many times in my life when my happiness was immeasurable. But I knew this was one of those rare times. The small organ that kept me alive was on the verge of bursting. Thudding in my ears with an exciting rhythm, it was ready to jump out of my chest and do a salsa dance. It was funny how a small moment in my period of existence could be so intense.

The two of us stood in an empty classroom. There were no extravagant preparations, soul-breaking confessions, or romantic settings. I hadn't even washed my hair today. We wore our favourite t-shirts and pairs of old jeans, groggy from the boring lecture, and breathless from the passionate kiss. Flowers and rings didn't measure up to this. His presence was enough. Those words were enough.

We were just two small adults playing with emotions deeper than our understanding.

"Tyler?"

"Yes."

Brandon gave a nervous chuckle. "Is that a yes to my question?"

"Yes." That word was enough to render me breathless. Each atom in my body tingled with delight and happiness. I wanted to express it somehow but it was difficult to explain my heart. I took a step forward, to maybe do something, but the stream of students shuffling inside the class cut me off.

They gave us curious glances, and I prayed that my flushed face wasn't too obvious. Brandon noticed them as well and picked up his bag. With his other hand, he gripped my hand and pulled me along. I pursed my lips to keep myself from grinning from ear to ear. It was one of the toughest battles of my life and I lost it when we reached an empty hallway. The second school bell rang, it was time for our next class, but my hand was reluctant to leave the warm embrace of his big palm.

The two of us painted a sappy picture for anyone who happened to see us.

"So, I'll go now..." I started.

"Mmm-hmm." Brandon nodded.

"Okay, then," I continued with a smile. It was difficult to break our eye contact. I wondered if people could see the hearts popping out of our eyes as they showed in cartoons.

After what seemed an eternity (it was the second school bell), we disengaged. "See you later."

Word must have gotten around fast because even Kayden congratulated me when I entered the kitchen later that afternoon. Brandon and I must have reached the Royal Wedding stage to be given so much attention. Still, I laughed it off with an embarrassed smile. He returned it as he took out a few sheets of paper from his backpack.

"I watched your baking competition online. These are improved versions of some recipes." He shrugged as I took the papers. "Maybe this will help later on."

I skimmed over the pages and saw some surprise ingredients that I would have never thought of. It was priceless. I grinned. "Definitely. Thanks!"

"You're welcome. Also, almost everyone signed up for the Summer Talent Show, right?"