29 | resolve

ضبط کہتا ہے خاموشی میں بسر ہو جائے
درد کی ہے ضد دنیا کو خبر ہو جائے

Thursday - 3:43pm

"Hey, Hami. You came early today." Anisha Bhabhi's voice halted Hemayal's steps towards her room upstairs, instead the soft voice compelled her to move in the direction of the living room.

"Yeah, it wasn't that of a happening day." Hemayal replied as she placed the purse, car keys and white overall on the coffee table.

Dressed in simple kurta, shalwar and heels, Hemayal Khakwani radiated poise as she took a seat by the fire, the make-up imperfect after the day but still adding to the beauty of her features.

"Can't believe a doctor could say that." Anisha Bhabhi chuckled slightly as she herself laid back in her seat, drawing the legs underneath her as compared to Hemayal's crossed ones.

"Well, doctors have life too." The smudge around the eyes crinkled as she too laughed, the sound exhausted, shoulders tied in knots from day's work.

"How's Musa? Where is he, though? It feels like ages since I last saw him." Hemayal suddenly remembered, eyes darting around the room before coming to rest on her brother's wife - question evident.

"The weather was nice so Baba took him to the park," the elder woman replied and the younger managed a nod before the peace in the room was broken by her sudden question. "He's changing, isn't he?"

Hemayal knew who the reference was towards, could tell even without paying an ounce of attention. These days, the relationship of the father-daughter duo was all any family member ever talked about - be it Mehmal's annoying reminders in Abbottabad or Bhabhi's gentle questions in here.

"I hope it is for the good." Hemayal replied, a shrug purposely done to convince the other woman of her nonchalance - a facade she carried out effortlessly.

"It is, believe me. It has to be. No one in this world deserves happiness more than you do." Bhabhi reiterated with force and Hemayal was genuinely touched.

"Thanks, Bhabhi. I appreciate it." She replied, not wanting to add any further, not wanting to discuss the topic which always hit so close to heart.

"Hami!"

"Phupoo!"

Two male voices called her simultaneously - one mature and heavy while the other belonged to a mere child of two.

"Assalam-u-Alikum to you too!" Hemayal replied with a smile as she bent forward in her seat to gather Musa in her arms who had ran in her direction as soon as he had spotted her.

"Can I have a word with you?" However, it was her father's voice, the trouble and discomfort it held, that halted Hemayal's lingering kiss on her nephew's cheek and she looked up at him.

A moment passed, a beat skipped and Hemayal knew there was trouble.

"Sure" She stood up after a heavy gulp, carefully placing Musa back on his feet who ran to his mother now, and exited the room after her father.

The father led the daughter to the outside of the house, his steps halting only when they'd reach the chairs placed in the lawn. The wind has picked up speed, the cold seeping into her sweater-devoid torso and she shuddered slightly - not for one reason, though.

"I just got a call." Shahriyar Khakwani wasted no time this time, getting to business right away after both of them had taken seat.

"From?" Hemayal raised both eyebrows as she hugged herself tightly.