Part 2 - Storm

Triton was dragged towards the surface, where he was battered by waves. He was thrown in so many different directions and the water around him was clouded with air bubbles to the point that he didn't know which way was up or down. As he spiraled through the water, his sister's voice became more distant. Triton tried to right himself, to get his finning, but the current was too strong.

    He even tried manipulating the water with his voice, but he couldn't get a single note out with how much he was being beaten. Every time he tried to take a breath, summoning a song, the water would crush him, draining the oxygen from his lungs.

    His own tailfin became the enemy as the thrashing water threw it against him, the impact to the side of his head so intense that he saw starfish. A second blow from his tail dragged him to unconsciousness.

~           ~           ~

    Ariel tried not to panic as she lost sight of her brother. She couldn't see him anywhere in the deep blue waters, so darkened by the storm that it was nearly black. Which didn't help since his normally blazing scales were concealed in ink. She didn't dare attempt to force the water into submission with her song, with her emotions swimming wild, she would no doubt do more harm than good.

    She let the water take her where it pleased, not that she could swim away if she tried. The muscles beneath her scales twitched spastically, shooting pricks of pain through her body. Her tail being pushed around by the water didn't help either. She just hoped it would be over soon, so she could work out the cramped muscles and find her brother.

~           ~         ~

    Triton didn't wake pleasantly. In fact, he was knocked awake the same way he was knocked unconscious: with a tail slap to the face. He sputtered, swatting his tail away as the dreamless sleep left his mind. The waters were still angrily thrashing above him, but they no longer tossed him around like seaweed as he'd fallen into deeper waters.

    But the raging storm wasn't what caught Triton's attention. The dark shadow of a large ship hovered in the distance, its massive bottom tilting slightly in the water. He swam closer curiously, a low note escaping his lips to help steady himself as the waters grew more violent on the way to the surface. He held the notes as he emerged into the humid air, ignoring the rain drops pelting him.

    His eyes were glued to the men running around the ship's deck in a panic, appearing like shadows in front of the firelight blooming behind them. Triton changed the note he'd been holding after a deep breath, the sound rising in his throat as the water guided him towards the ship. He clutched at the sides, unsure of what to do. He couldn't save them all, and he could only command the water to douse the flames, but that might kill them too. Triton was conflicted. Their ship was going to sink either way.

    At the sound of a cry, Triton looked up in horror. One of the men had fallen overboard, landing with a deep splash somewhere behind him. He didn't resurface. The ship vibrated beneath his fingers and Triton's head snapped towards the sound of cracking wood. More men fell overboard as the ship shuddered, pieces crumbling into the water.

    Triton's heart clenched as some of the men resurfaced. More notes spilled over his lips as he willed the water to bring floating pieces of the ship to the remaining men. Though Triton no longer held onto the ship, he stayed close to it as it began sinking in two broken pieces.

    More men were jumping into the water as the one who seemed to be in charge guided them. His words were drowned out by the rain and his white shirt clung to him like it was hanging on to life. His dark hair was plastered to him wildly. He was a complete mess, understandably; a very handsome mess. Triton was so fixated on him that his breath hitched when he disappeared from sight.

    The ship was sinking rapidly now. Triton sucked in a lungful of air when the man returned, dragging another crewman with him. He waited until the member jumped into the water to follow him. Triton carefully adjusted his song to help the men find buoyant pieces of ship wreckage to cling to. Suddenly, the ship was swallowed by the ocean and the man soon followed with a panicked splash.

    Triton didn't think as he dove after him.

    The man didn't see him coming. He was looking downwards, seemingly curled in on himself. Triton squinted as he approached, seeing a faint line between the man and the sinking ship. A rope had become entangled around one of the man's lower limbs, around a chunky piece of garment. He must not have felt it through the thick material as he'd abandoned ship.

    Air bubbles raced past Triton as he drew near. The man was still fumbling with the rope, his movements becoming more spastic as he ran out of air. Triton knew the man's lungs were not built for the ocean as his were, they could not draw oxygen from the water. If he inhaled, he could die.

    Triton hesitated as he drew near. Once he revealed himself to a human, there was no going back. The man's muffled grunts urged Triton to make a decision.

    Triton dipped below him, pushing away the man's hands and worked on freeing him. His sudden appearance startled the man, and he flailed as much as the water would allow, seeming to be trying to get away, which wouldn't do much good with the ship holding him hostage.

    The last of the human's air escaped his lungs and panic set in, making it difficult for Triton to work. A melody meant to soothe the man poured from Triton, but he'd already calmed and ceased fighting. Glancing up, Triton worked faster since the man had fallen unconscious. His lungs were probably filled with water.

    Triton's heart pounded as he ripped the ropes off, dragging the man to the surface. His head lolled against Triton's shoulder, but he didn't draw breath as the fresh air enveloped them. Swearing, Triton clutched the man to him as a song rose in his chest, aiding his fins in swimming faster than a sea lion towards the nearest shore.

    With the help of his song, Triton dragged the man onto shore, collapsing beside him as his song sputtered out. His fins were sore as was his voice, but he wasn't done yet. Triton propped himself over the man on his arms, leaning on one as a new song took over him.

    Using his hand to guide his notes, he carefully pulled the invasive seawater from the human's lungs, out his mouth, letting the song drop as the water splattered across the sand. The man didn't move.

    Triton moved to place a hand beneath the man's head, carefully shaking him. Despite the sad feeling in his chest, Triton couldn't help but admire the man's strong jawline, the curve of his lips, the long dark lashes where saltwater still clung.

    The man's eyes flew open, his ice blue irises locking on Triton's green ones as he coughed. Startled, Triton's voice raised another song and the sea came immediately to his aid, carrying him back to safety, but leaving the man untouched on shore.