3. What's the Score?

First off, before you can start developing your hero's character you need to know what is wrong with their world. What do they need to fix? Their ultimate goal is what will drive your story, no matter how many plot twists you may include, it will always come back to your hero's main quest. Any obstacles or characters you meet on the way will all have a purpose. It's all about conflict; cause and effect.

So, what's the score? What is your hero's ultimate goal? Honestly, get used to these Harry Potter examples:

EX: Harry wants to kill Voldemort

Now, establish why your character has this goal. What is at stake if they do not achieve this goal? This is what gives your hero a reason to fight. When you are creating your stakes, try to put yourself in your hero's cape. Think of the life they're living and the world around them. Not only will there be internal stakes (relating to the person), but there will also be external stakes (relating to the world).

 EX: Not only the Wizarding World but also the muggle world will continue to be overrun by Dark Magic and Voldemort will probably kill everybody

Then, you've got the long-term goal and your hero is aware of the consequences that will come their way if this goal is not fulfilled. A straight-line from A-Z right?

Wrong.

If your hero could solve their problems that easily, you wouldn't be writing a story about it. What, or who is stopping your hero from getting what they want? What, or who must they overcome to reach that long-term goal? Their obstacles may be big, small, mental or physical. Whatever form they come in, they are bound to be there and they will have an effect on your hero's ability to fulfil their quest.

EX: Harry will have to find and destroy seven Horcruxes but has no idea where to start because not only is Dumbledore useless, but he's dead af

Remember not to stray too far away from the story. Plot twists are always great, I encourage plot twists, I encourage a quest, inside a quest, inside another quest, I live for a complex story and I am sure there are many readers who agree with me. However, I live for a complex story that is portrayed well; where the writer clearly understands what they're aiming for and how it affects their protagonist and the characters around them. 

********************

A/N: at the end of all the chapters, I am going to put a little exercise/question for you guys to do in the comments as a way for you to interact and really take something away from reading this guide. I will leave an answer regarding one of my own fantasy books for you to use as an example. Don't forget to vote and share this guide with whoever may need it!

********************

Exercise 3:

What is your hero's ultimate goal?

My answer:

To show people the true nature of Dragons in order to stop the Dragon Hunting and give the dragons their rights back