The Legend of Julia Legare

When the golden beams of the sun’s light shine through the Spanish moss draped trees at the Edisto Island Presbyterian Church it’s easy to think that a slow-moving shadow was just that – a shadow – but maybe, it was something else.

As far as ghost stories go on the island, the Presbyterian Church, or more specifically, its graveyard, is home to one of the most popular haunts around.

This is the story of Julia Legare.

Back in the mid-1800s, Julia Legare was visiting family on the island. She became ill and slipped into a coma. Her family anxiously awaited the day she would wake up, but that day never came. The family physician declared the young girl dead.

The child was lovingly dressed for her funeral where loved ones would pay her one last goodbye… or so they thought.

In those days, long before the deceased were treated with embalming fluids to preserve the body before burial, the ceremonial activities surrounding death were conducted at a rapid pace in order to avoid the inevitable decomposition. Poor Julia was buried on the same day of her death after loved ones had a chance to pay their respects.

Her little body was taken from the church and interred in the family’s mausoleum. After she was placed inside the crypt, the marble door was closed, and securely locked, providing a sense of finality to the tragic death of the child.

Julia’s family went on with their lives as best as they could after suffering the loss of a child so young and in time the pain of her death was replaced with happy memories from her life.

After 15 years had gone by, another death in the family required the mausoleum to be opened. It was then that the family realized what a tragic error they had made.

Julia’s remains, which had so long ago been entombed, were crumpled at the foot of the mausoleum’s door. She had been buried alive.

               Don't dream too many nightmares

                                               -ShaSha out