Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen - Threatened Crowns

It has been a month since Ivan and I have been on the royal tour as we visit the various states of the kingdom. Lazarus and Nova remain in the castle to oversee everything until we return. As I have been crowned the Lycan Kingdom's Queen it's my duty to spend time with the people, listen to the changes they want implemented and to help them as much as possible. So far, we have visited the central, east and west areas. We would spend the weekdays with the people and the weekends with the various Alphas and Lunas running the states under Ivan's rule.

I was extremely nervous at first and a little shy but eventually I loosened up and became more confident in my role. With one month in to the tour it's now easier to deal with an overwhelming amount of people greeting Ivan and I daily. However, today marks the end of our visit to the southern region and we are currently taking an evening stroll through the town that we are in. It's decorated beautifully for our arrival just like every other region was.

"They're so cute!" I giggle at the kids running around Ivan and I as loud squeals and laughter escape them while they play.

Ivan chuckles before wrapping an around my waist as we wave goodbye to them and carry on. "How many pups do you want?"

"Hmm," I think about it for a moment while looping my arm through his. "Maybe four. What about you?"

"Definitely more than that." He murmurs huskily into my ear and pecks the skin behind it.

I blush fiercely before lightly shoving him when I catch the teasing grin on his lips. Laughing out loud, he pulls me right back into his warm embrace. He kisses my temple as we continue to walk through the town and greet the residents, shopkeepers and children as they wave and offer us gifts. Our guards follow close behind and are fully strapped with weapons to ensure that we are always protected.

"Do you want to get ice-cream?" Ivan suddenly asks as he points out the quaint shop tucked away in a corner of the street we're on.

"Yes, let's go!"

As soon as we open the door, the shopkeeper abandons all his duties and hurries over to serve us. The customers inside sneak shy glances before smiling brightly and waving when we catch their eyes. The shopkeeper called Will asks us what we would like and I pick the white chocolate and raspberry flavor while Ivan goes for the chocolate. Will chatters away in a friendly manner and I find the accent of the southern region so uniquely different to the others.

He eventually bids us goodbye but not without another ice-cream cone which I happily take. Ivan hands him a pouch of gold coins and fixes him with a look when Will starts to protest. Waving goodbye we resume our stroll again and I find myself looking around at the houses as we walk through a residential area.

"The houses here are smaller than the other regions." I wonder aloud before turning to Ivan. "Is there a reason for this?"

He rolls his eyes while an angry huff escapes him. "The southerners refuse to have any changes made no matter how many times dad and I have proposed ideas. This is the most prosperous region in all the land and yet they shake their heads over the idea of modernizing the buildings and making their homes larger."

"Maybe they prefer this way of life?" I smile while recalling how differently people live here.

"I guess." He shakes his head with a heavy sigh. "Because they produce the most successful crops for the entire kingdom I leave them be. All I want is the best for my people and if living in simplicity makes them happy then so be it."