Chapter Twenty-Three

Something hot rolled over in my stomach. It felt like uneasiness that maybe shared a condo wall with terror. And maybe arousal lived a couple of doors down.
― Eli Easton

Neil Harris

"So, it is true what they are saying."

Mid-day, there was a little warmth in the air, at least that was how I felt in this cold season. Twirling the drink in the glass, I was just staring at the screen before me, unable to actually read what was shown. There was an urgency in me to escape this workplace as soon as possible, but my concentration level was never good since the beginning. 

The familiar savior's voice couldn't have come at a better place. Just what I needed. I stopped my out of tune whistling abruptly.

"You're back!" I exclaimed, setting aside the drink and stood up, walking around the glass table that had hardly any paperworks. As soon as I reached him, I excitedly embraced the man.

Tyler Sanders did not bother to hug me back. 

"Neil, take your hands off me."

Ah, it was good to have him back. Time to shift the weight. 

Smiling from ear to ear, I let go of his frozen body, without an offense, but kept my hands on his firm arms. "Man, I missed you."

"Yes." He jerked off my possessive hold, and replied drily. "I can see that."

As the office and he had been acquainted with each other for so long, Sanders made himself comfortable in my chair. I had no qualms of him seating himself in the CEO chair. Without him, there would be no office to begin with. For Sanders, he preferred the seat because he could oversee the whole floor. Even while he was conversing, he wanted to keep everyone on their toes. On the other hand, for me, it was respectful and deserving. He had the right to sit at the head chair because he put as much sweat and time as me in this business. 

I joined him, by sitting in the chair before him, eager to listen to his vacation stories. What could a workaholic do in a vacation?

"You have been happy." He noticed and I smiled broader. 

"Why wouldn't I be? Business is good." Leaning back, I gestured around the office, the lack of work was evident. Honestly, work and I were a match made with dilemma. 

"And, also marriage." Tyler stated and I paused with shifty eyes, but then shrugged. Well, there were some benefits to it. I had been availing those since past few days.

"Well, it is not as boring as I thought it would be."

"I see."

I squirmed as Tyler studied me with his haunting eyes. This was the time my state of bliss started to disappear. Life had been pretty content last week. I had tried some things which I had never thought I would, but most of all, Ashley tried things she deserved to try.

Our mornings started with me teaching Ashley survival tactics in the kitchen. Even though, she seemed to be hopeless in cooking, she never gave up, worked diligently and consistently. Moreover, she made a decision of embarking into the real world. As she had been homeschooled for her whole life, she decided it was time to finally pick up those brochures of colleges. When she found some prospective institutions, we went to check some of those options and let her get the feel of it.

I would never forget the awe on her face when I took her to a Music & Dance Academy at the end of our tour. From the very moment, I saw her dancing around in that makeshift studio in the penthouse, I knew this was her passion. She could easily major in Dance, but, Ashley surprised me when she said she wanted to get proper education on social science. Well, I did not care why she chose that program, but the only thing that mattered was that it was her choice.