14

I freak out every time we get closer
'Cause I'm scared that it's just gonna hurt
__________________

JAY AND I sat on the bleachers, watching Ben train Carlos with nothing but a stopwatch. It was funny seeing the freckled boy stumble over his own feet. Carlos was wearing these fingerless red leather gloves that Evie had made. I'm assuming Evie already knew he needed it, judging by how many times he's gotten these mysterious cuts and bruises. Ben was incredibly optimistic about them though.

Jay was sitting next to me, munching on a large chocolate cookie.

"Maybe you should join Carlos." I teased, elbowing him.

Jay chuckled in response. "I don't wanna brag, but I can definitely run faster than that."

I raised an eyebrow. "Oh really?" I casually tapped a finger on my chin, "And how did that happen? Cause I know for a fact that gyms don't exist on the Isle."

"You don't need a gym to work out." He replied, standing up, "C'mon."

I stood up too, adjusting the knife tucked under my trousers. "Where're we going?"

He led me into the denser part of the forest right by the field, waving at Ben as we passed by. Dirt and leaves stuck onto our boots, but it didn't bother us. Jay leaped over a stump and hauled himself up a thick tree branch.

"The world around us is already our gym." He called down to me, climbing higher and higher, "Don't focus on what you don't have. Focus on what you do have, and use it."

"Wise words." I shouted, looking up, the sun in my eyes.

The long haired boy started doing pullups on a branch.

"Be bloody careful!" I warned.

"Don't worry, Isle Orphan. I've been doing these kind of stuff before I learned to walk." He exaggerated, "There used to be this giant oak tree behind the shed my dad and I lived in, and I'd climb it whenever my dad wasn't looking. I know how to tell if a tree isn't steady or strong enough."

I smiled. I've rarely ever heard about his past life.

"And that is how I became so athletic." He boasted, dropping back down on the forest floor.

"How's fencing?" I asked, sitting down on a fallen log.

Jay joined me. "Pretty great. Lonnie's amazing."

"I bet." I said, "I mean, she is Mulan's daughter."

Jay turned to me, his long hair was tied back. "You know what? You should come to practice today."

My eyes widened. "You mean fencing practice?" I questioned, my tone showing how absurd I thought that idea was.

"Yeah."

"Well, Lonnie isn't exactly my biggest fan." I reminded him.

He shrugged. "Maybe it's time to smooth things over."

"I don't know, Jay."

"It's up to you. But you can't avoid it forever. My advice? Be the bigger person, and go talk to her."

I nodded. "You're right."

Just then, a hysterical scream filled the air around us, then rapid footsteps. Jay and I jumped up, suddenly extremely aware of our surroundings. My hand unconsciously reached for my knife. The screaming got louder, closer.

Jay straightened up, then looked at me. "Wait... Is that-"

"Carlos?" I finished.

Our theory was proven true when Carlos himself came hurling past us, swift as a deer, he grabbed onto the same tree Jay had climbed, then proceeded to climb it. Jay and I watched in awe as the young boy scaled the tall tree within seconds, going even higher than Jay had. All our questions were answered when a small brown coated dog bolted into the scene, stopping to sniff the tree Carlos mounted on.

Ben appeared behind them, panting. "Oh gosh..."

"Help me!" Carlos screamed, pointing at the dog, "This thing's a killer. He's gonna chase me down and rip out my throat! This is a viscous rabbit pack animal-"

"Hey- hey!" Ben shouted, picking up the mutt, "Who told you that?"

"Your mom?" I asked Carlos.

"Yes." He replied, as if it was obvious, "She's an expert... Why are you holding him? He's gonna attack you!"

The fear in his voice shook the earth under our feet.

"Cruella told you that dogs are viscous?" Jay said, shielding his eyes from the sun as he looked up at the boy perched on the high branch.

Carlos gave us a look as if to say how many times do you want me to repeat myself?

Ben looked at Jay and I, then chuckled. "Carlos, this is Dude, our campus mutt." He said slowly, "Dude is not going to hurt you."

The white haired boy gulped, unsure.

"Come down, Carlos." I said reassuringly, "You'll be okay."

He stared at me for a few seconds, then sighed and carefully made his way back down, branch after branch. His movements were painfully slow and cautious. His shoulders were stiff, jaw tense like a guitar string. He eyed the dog nervously.

Ben stayed in his spot, holding Dude, patient as Carlos forced himself forward. Everything seemed to move in slow motion.

"Carlos, forget what your mom has said." Jay said, "Pretend you're meeting a baby for the first time."

Carlos closed his eyes as he reached his hand out towards Dude. "Meeting a baby, meeting a baby, meeting a baby..." He repeated to himself.

His fingers came in contact with Dude's fur, and he flinched back. He took a deep breath, then ran his hand on Dude's coat. One eye opened, then another.

"You... you don't seem that viscous..."

"Do you want to hold him?" Ben asked.

Dude was slowly handed over to Carlos, who's expression was now less fearful and more curious. I watched with a little smirk on my face.

"You're a good boy, aren't you?" Carlos said quietly.

Dude started to lick his face, and the boy erupted into a fit of giggles. Jay, Ben and I smiled at each other.

"See?" I inquired, "Not bad, huh?"

"No." Carlos smiled at me, his posture relaxing, "Not bad at all."

Ben's smile turned into a frown. "You guys had it rough on the Isle, huh?"

Carlos looked up at him. "Let's just say we don't get a lot of belly rubs..."

The brown haired prince breathed a dismayed oh wow, like he finally felt the weight on our shoulders.

"Okay." He said, "You know what, Carlos? Training is over. You should spend some time with Dude." He motioned to Jay and I. "We'll give you some space."

Jay and I agreed and was about to walk away behind Ben when Carlos blurted "Brae!".

I stopped and turned around at my name.

"Can you stay for a minute?" He asked.

I shrugged. "If you want me to."

"Alright." Jay said, "Brae, think about what I said. I really think you should come to practice."

"Okay, I'll go. Auditorium?"

"Yeah."

"Cool. I'll be there at some point."

Jay gave me a friendly squeeze on the shoulders. "And Carlos?" Jay said, turning to him, "That was some insanely good tree climbing."

"And running." Ben added, "That dog made you break my record."

Carlos laughed. "I'll keep that in mind."

We waved goodbye as Jay and Ben disappeared down the dirt path. Carlos was eagerly scratching under Dude's chin.

"So?"

____________________

This was one of my favorite scenes in the movie :P If you see any mistakes, please let me know, I'm not a grammar expert haha. Thank you so much for reading. How's the book so far?