8. A Partnership

Serena

"I have missed you," Will said, as he held my hand and we walked home together.

He'd come back from his parents' house this afternoon and he made it very clear that he'd missed me the whole time. It was quite sweet.

We had decided that since he'd been gone for a while and we were both feeling a little lazy, it was a perfect excuse for a date night and to eat out together.

"Do you know why I took you to that restaurant?" Will asked me, snapping me from my miserable thoughts.

He had taken me out to eat at this new place he'd recently discovered, thanks to Sara, and now we were walking back to our apartment.

When he looked down at me, from his giant-like height, with a smile on his face, I smiled too.

"Because it had an interactive game on the table and you're a child trapped in a man's body?" I teased him.

I could see Will playfully narrow his eyes at me. "Well, what's not to love about playing a game, whilst you eat?" He asked, but it was clearly a rhetorical question. He then nudged my shoulder. "And you love my childishness," Will added, which caused me to smile.

One of the reasons that I had fallen for Will, was definitely because of his playful personality.

Over the years, without even realising it, I had become more and more serious. It wasn't something that I hadn't noticed initially, but it had been pointed out to me.

When I first started going out with Will, his energy, jokes and childishness would annoy me. However, it wasn't him, it was me. I was so closed off and clearly determined to be unapproachable, that I hadn't realised he was just being his charming-self.

Slowly, but surely, the traits that I thought were annoying about Will, eventually became things I loved about him. His easy-going personality was something that I needed in my life, to balance me out. We had a partnership.

"But no, that's not the reason," Will continued.

I let out a groan. "Please don't make me guess."

He just chuckled at my words, bringing up our joined hands to place a kiss upon them. "At least it's clear that I'm the fun one in this relationship," he joked.

A scowl then formed on my face, which only made him smile more. "Only because you're secretly ten years old and screw you, I'm fun," I replied.

Will then snorted. "Yeah, okay then."

I took my hand out of his hold, only to shove him for teasing me, which caused him to start laughing.

"Did you actually have a point?" I asked him, putting my hands into my coat pocket and carried on walking.

The cold breeze of the evening started to make me feel chilly. I needed the warmth from Will's hand wrapped around mine, to keep my fingers from freezing, since I didn't bring gloves and my coat pocket wasn't doing the job. But I wasn't going to admit that to him now.

Will then put his own hand into my coat pocket, intertwining our fingers once again.

I was stubborn and I didn't take my hand out my pocket.

"Oh right," Will then said, clearly remembering where he intended to go with this conversation. "I took you here to cheer you up, but I feel like my mission failed," he pouted.

I stopped walking and looked up at him. "Cheer me up?" I asked.

Will gave me a soft smile, with a look that told me he knew that there was something up. "You seem to be down in the dumps, Serena. What's wrong?" He asked.