Part One

Christopher Strongfellow was a happy seventeen-year-old boy he thought while he chopped another piece of wood in two for the coming winter. “Christopher!” He heard as he wiped his brow and looked toward the cabin he and his parents lived in. He smiled seeing a woman with long black hair coming toward him with a tray which would probably be his lunch. “Hello Ma, how are you feeling?” He asked her as she set the tray down on the log pile that had been nicely stacked up. “I am doing much better my dear. How are the chores coming?” She asked him as he wiped his brow again. “All I have left to do it feed the horses after I finish cutting the wood.” Christopher said with a bright smile toward his mother who only smiled back.

            “That’s good, I feel terrible for not being able to help around anymore.” She said while her hand went to her rather large belly. Christopher only laughed a bit as he kissed his mother’s cheek. “Oh come now Ma, you relax. Pa and I got everything covered.” He said as he sat down on the stump and took bite out of his sandwich she had made for him. “Oh I know this very well Christopher, but you also know I do enjoy helping out and being outside with the both of you.” She said as she kissed the top of his head while walking back toward the house. “Tell your Pa that I need some mushrooms if he expects me to make dinner!” She yelled toward him before going back into the house.

            Christopher smiled to himself as he looked down the hill seeing his father fishing in the lake. ‘I should finish this up and go feed the horses.’ He thought as he scarfed down the rest of his food and chugged the water. “Welp, time to get back to work!” He exclaimed to himself as he set down his plate and glass before hopping back onto his tired feet. He grinned at his sore muscles protesting as he grabbed the axe and set another piece of wood on the stump he was just sitting on. Christopher raised the axe high above his left shoulder and brought the sharp edge down into the wood, cutting it in half. His body screamed at him to take a longer break but he wouldn’t do that. His father had told him that when the body is telling you to stop, you keep going; you will be better rewarded that way.

            After another hour of chopping wood and placing the pieces onto the pile neatly Christopher made his way to the horses that were in their pasture. “Kyle! Neal! Nelli! Come on! Time for food!” He yelled as he tapped a branch he found against the bucket of food he was holding. He smiled as he heard their neighs and soon their galloping feet coming toward him as he opened the gate and walked inside to greet them. “Hey there Neal,” Chrisopher cooed as he put the bucket down and rubbed the black stallion’s nose with the palm of his hand. He started to laugh when Nelli, a brown and white mare neighed at him and nudged his side with her nose. “Oh Nelli, you should know I wouldn’t forget about you.” He told her as he rubbed the palm of his hand against her nose as well. Christopher laughed even more when Kyle, a pure white stallion nibbled on his short blonde hair. “I know I know I know.” Christopher told Kyle as he rubbed his nose as well while bending over to pick up the bucket of feed. “Come on you three.” He said as he walked toward a trough and poured the feed into one and then another and another so the horses had room to eat in peace without bumping into each other.

            Christopher smiled to himself as he patted their sides before walking back out the gate and closing it behind him to let them eat. As he made his way toward the stables something got his attention at the corner of his eyes. When he turned to look he swore he thought he saw something big and icy white hiding behind a tree but as he moved closer to where he thought he saw it, there was nothing there. Christopher scratched the back of his head and shook it, “I’m seeing things again.” He said to no one as he made his way back to the stables and put up the feed bucket before grabbing a dirty looking bag that he slung over his shoulder as he went back to the stump to pick up his plate and glass to take inside the house. “That didn’t take you long at all,” his mother commented as she smiled at him and took the plate and glass from him. “I’m about to go see Pa, anything else you need us to get you while we are hunting for some mushrooms?” Christopher asked her as he grabbed a raccoon cap he made himself when he was a kid, only now it fit his bigger head. He watched his Ma bite on her lower lip, which is something she always did when thinking or when she was uneasy about something. “Not that I can think of. No Christopher. Thank you though.” She said as she smiled at him and shooed him off.