Chapter 1: No Rhyme or Reason To This Life

"Shit, shit, shit." (Y/n) whispers as she tries to drive this already torn up SUV while her husband, John, was in the passenger seat, bleeding from a stab wound on his side. (Y/n) tried to steer the vehicle as best as she could but the wound on her shoulder was hurting her really badly and it was hard to keep the wheel steady.

She whinced in pain as she places a hand on her shoulder and the vehicle hits a ramp. "Damn it." (Y/n) mutters as she goes for the door and gets out while John reaches for his door and starts to stumble out. (Y/n) runs around the back of the SUV and towards John.

"John! John!" She shouts with worry as she goes over to him. He starts to fall towards the ground but she catches him and tries to carry him, but he was a bit taller than her so that was a bit of a problem. "C'mon, John. We can do this." (Y/n) tells him, encouragingly, as they walked over to the ramp but he loses his footing and falls on the ground, bringing her down to her knees.

"Shit." She growls under her breath then goes to John as he could barley keep his eyes open. "John, please! Please get up! Don't leave me!" She shouts at him as he cups her right cheek in his left hand.

Tears began to pour down her face then she starts to tear off the sleeve of her shirt and tries to use that to stop the bleeding on John's side. As she does this, the events of the last few days start to play through her mind.

How the hell did we get here?

A Few Days Ago

You and John were out for dinner, celebrating your birthday. It was just the two of you on this beautiful evening, both of you walking down the port, when your cellphone begins to ring. You pull out your phone and answered it, thinking it would be someone else wishing you a happy birthday.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case.

It was the hospital, telling you that your sister, Helen, had gotten worse and was admitted to the hospital. You told them that you were on your way then you looked up at John and told him what had happened. He understood and the two of you left and headed to the hospital.

A couple of days had passed and you had never left your sister's side as you watched over her. You prayed and hoped that she would get better. Besides John, Helen was all you had from your family. But, sadly, the doctors told you that there was nothing they could do for her. So you stood there by her bedside and watch her wither away as you held onto her hand, John stood by your side as well, until the day she died.

It was a rainy day when her funeral was held, everyone wore black and was holding up black umbrellas. Tears were falling down your face with the mixture of the raindrops that fell on your face. John placed an arm around your shoulder as you watch Helen's coffin get lowered into the ground. You placed your right hand over your mouth, trying to stifle a sob while John hugged you tighter to his side.

Moments later, John was leading you to his car when he looks over and spotted someone familiar standing by. "Wait here." He said to you as you got into the passenger seat. You looked up at him, confused, as he shuts the door and walks up to his old friend, Marcus. "It's been a while. My condolences." Marcus said once John approaches him. Then Marcus looks over John's shoulder to see you sitting in the car.

"How she holdin' up?" Marcus asked, nodding towards you. "She's...she's trying to act strong but..." John said as he looks over his shoulder at you as you were looking down at your hands. He didn't know what to say or how to finish his sentence. "There's no rhyme or reason to this life. It's days like today scattered among the rest." Marcus said as John looks at him, suspiciously. "Are you sure?" He asked. "Don't blame yourself. And don't let her blame herself either." Marcus said to him.