7.

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches on the soul and sings the song without the tune and never stops.. at all."

▪▪▪▪

"Lovisaaaa!!" Kai calls as I walk leisurely to my psychology class.

I frown and wait as he jogs to me. "Can you please stick to one name? Elle, Ela, Elena, Eleanor now Lovisa?" It's ridiculous really. And very annoying too.

"That will be no fun." He says with a sleazy smile.

"What are you doing here?" I snap.

He pauses and scans me from head to toe. "Hmm.. neon pink. It means irritated. Got it."

I am shocked. How did he know this. I'm wearing a neon pink, crop, full sleeved top with same coloured yoga pants and white sneakers. I had a great trouble sleeping last night and that has made me irritated.

"How do you know this?" I ask, matching up to his pace.

"Know what?" He asks, feigning innocence.

"Just tell me already Kai. Don't test my patience today." I snap once again.

He rolls his eyes. "I notice you, okay? There's been something different about your monotonous dressing from the very beginning. And I started trying to figure it out. So far I know you wear bright colours like yellow, orange or hot pink when you are excited and optimistic. Light pink when nervous. Light blue when relaxed and cool. Green when energetic and determined."

I am dumbfounded now. Shock doesn't even begin to cover it.

"You've been interesting since the first day Ben. It's been a long time since someone has intrigued me so much." He answers.

"Ben?"

"Short for Bennett." He says with a wink and starts taking backward steps in the opposite direction.

"You're ridiculous." I try to supress my smile.

"Glad you think so." He gives a salute and increases his pace of walking backward.

"Where are you going?"

"We crossed the turn for my class a few steps ago. I'm running late already. See you in the cafeteria Visa." He calls out and runs off to his class.

I laugh and stare behind him. Maybe boys are not so bad after all. Maybe I can get used to this life and be normal.

------------------------------------

In the cafeteria, after searching for a while, I find Lucas, Kai, Becca and two other guys and one other girls sitting together.

How come I've never seen them here before?

I excuse myself from Gemma and Anna. They didn't mind that much.

Kai has saved me a seat. I smile at that.

Becca notices me coming with my tray and gets up from her seat. She pulls me by my arm and brings into attention. "Guys this is Elena, my roommate and a very good friend."

I wave a hi.

"Elena, this is Mike." She points at the curly headed boy who smiles a dimpled smile and waves cheerfully. "This is Carlos." She points at the other boy who is black and has blond highlights in his hairs.

Carlos gets up and sticks out his hand for a handshake. I glance at Kai who mouths 'go ahead'. I very slowly place my hand in his. He gives a toothy smile and sits back down.

"And this is Kate." She points at the strawberry blonde. The girl gives a nice smile. "Carlos, you know Elena's major is also psychology." Becca tells.

"That's great. I haven't seen you since you're a freshman. I'm a third year by the way. Ask me if you need any assistance." Carlos politely says.

I smile and mutter a thanks. Kai takes my hand and makes me sit down.

"Mike's major is physics and Kate's fine arts. Same as Kai's." Becca further informs. "And they live in our dorm only."

We start with our meals and I pray as always which makes everyone except Kai, Becca and Lucas regard me peculiarly. I ignore them.

Everyone's almost finished by the time I'm halfway through mine.

Suddenly, Kai taps on my thigh. "See that guy there?" He points at a tall, lean, blonde boy standing close to our table. I nod. "He is interested in you. Go talk to him."

"What!?"

"Your training starts now. Go. Hurry." He almost pushes me out my chair.

Mike and Kate have left and only Lucas, Becca, Kai and Carlos are remaining. They too are interested now.

Becca also nudges me. I sigh and get up.

"How do you know he is interested in me?" I ask Kai, getting thoroughly nervous now.

"He has been staring at you since you got in. And not just today. It's been three days." He tells like a know-it-all.

"But..."

"Just go!" They all say in union.

"Fine." I huff and go to the guy.

He sees me approaching. At first his expression is of surprise but it soon morphs into a smiling one. He is really cute by the way.

"Hi." I say. Not knowing what else to do.

"Hey. Hi. I.. Uhm.. I'm Steve. It's nice to meet you." He sticks out a hand and I give it a shake without any hesitation this time. It doesn't seem like that big of a deal now.

"Elena." I reply.

There is an awkward pause then. "Hey so, you got any plans this weekend?" He asks.

"Not really." I answer.

"Oh. There's this movie.. Charlie's Angels..." He is trying hard to make a small talk I think.

So I help him. "Oh yes. I just saw it a few days ago. It's great. You should go too." There. I've done it. I've officially talked to a guy normally.

"Yeah sure. And you know there's this icecream parlour. It's pretty awesome. So maybe.." He drags on.

I'm totally confused now. So I stick to being honest. "That's a pity. I can't eat icecream. But you can tell me the name and I'll ask my friends to visit it."

He mortifies. Did I say something wrong? He shakes that look off and gives me the name. He then tells me that he has got some stuff to do and will talk to me later. I mentally congratulate myself for doing so well.

When I come at back at my table smiling, everyone looks at me expectantly. So I tell them what happened.

While Kai and Becca mortify exactly like the boy did, Lucas and Carlos burst into laughter.

"Why are you laughing?" I ask.

"Because you're an idiot." Kai says on their behalf.

"Excuse me. I did not stutter or say anything weird. You should praise me." I say indignantly.

"He was asking you out stupid." Becca says with a shake of her head.

"Poor guy. I pity him." Lucas says while laughing.

"It will be harder than I assumed." Kai murmurs.