Chapter 11: Selene

Unedited

...

Every muscle and fiber of my being screamed for me to race full speed through the sleeping city towards the gate. It took every ounce of concentration I had not to give in. Instead, I kept Little Shadow at a steady gate as we rode.

I bit back a smile as the guards opened the gates of the city without questioning me. As I rode through them I breathed in my first breath of freedom in seven years. I took off in a full gallop towards the Wyldwoods.

The wind ripped through my ashen hair The moonlight shone down on me as I rode and I laughed aloud for the first time in god knows how long.

As soon as I reached the forest, I jumped off of Little Shadow's back and collapsed to my knees. I should have run out of tears by now, but I was still crying. Still crying as two brown boots came into view in front of me. I looked up to see Celtez standing over me.

It had taken me three whole days to remember who the male was to me. Three days to remember that I had once called him Uncle, though he was not my true uncle. He had been a member of the king's blood sworn Knights and was my father's best friend.

"They are all dead, aren't they," it was less of a question and more of a realization.

"It is easier to list the living than the dead," Celtez sighed.

"Father? Mom? Niccie?" I asked, I truly wanted to hear the answer.

"Celtez, don't," a voice I could never forget spoke up. I raised my head to see Niccie walking out of the trees. More tears came to my eyes at the sight of him.

"Celtez may fall for your act, but others do not," he snarled and my joy quickly melted into pure rage.

"Niccie, stop!" Celtez's order stopped the male in his tracks. Niccie, glared at the older male, but obeyed.

"You don't know the whole story, boy," My Uncle growled. Niccie bared his teeth, showing his two elongated canines and growled.

"Oh, so she did not spend the last seven years working for our enemy?" Niccie growled, "How many times did we plot to kill her?" He growled. The truth of his hit me like a blow. A blow I deserved.

"I am no traitor, at least not to the fae," I growled. Niccie paused knowing I could not lie to him.

"Did you serve the human King for the last seven years or not? Freely leaving the castle whenever you pleased?"

"Not willingly," I growled.

"Yes or no!" Niccie yelled. I got to my feet and walked towards him, standing toe to toe with him.

"For the last seven years, I was a slave," I growled in his face and the hate in Niccie's eyes faltered, "I was never free to leave and return as I pleased, so no!" I was practically screaming at him. I grabbed the blade of the dagger Niccie had drawn and lifted it so that it was pointed at my heart.

"I would rather you kill me now, than ever return to that human king. I would rather die than forget who I am ever again!" I cried and yelled.

"I have nowhere else to go, so if you don't trust me. If you don't believe me, then kill me. At least I will die free,"

"As you wish, Traitor," Niccie snarled and pressed the dagger to my chest. I felt the metal prick my skin, but I did not fight it. I would not fight him. This was what I wanted. I wanted to die. At least then I could finally be with Azriel again.

"Stop!" The voice was a deep growl accompanied by the sound of beating wings. Niccie froze, unable to move for a moment, before obeying and bowing his head in utter submission. The way I had seen my parents do so many times when their blood sworn leader gave an order. I had no more tears to cry as I turned to face my true King.

"Azriel,"