XXXV.

"I am always going to get lost

"I am always going to get lost. I really need to download a GPS or map" I muttered to myself.

I just walked out of my appointment with Dr. Paxton. For my sessions, I made a point that I would go by myself. I wanted to do this independently and not worry about anyone eavesdropping.

Joke was on me though, since I kept getting lost in this large house. I stood in the hallway, uncertain if I had been in this area of the house, when a voice called out to me.

"Are you lost, Rosaline?" Erik called out as he walked toward me.

I smiled in embarrassment.

While I had lived here for a while, I still didn't really know Erik. Besides a few greetings, he was always busy and we never had a full conversation before.

"Hi, Erik. Is it sad that I have no idea where I am? Kind of pathetic." I laughed at myself.

Erik shook his head with a smile.

"This place is basically a labyrinth. How about I lead you to Maria's room?" he offered.

I gave him a grateful smile.

"That would be great. Thanks."

Erik silently gestured for me to follow him as he led me through the halls.

We walked in silence for a few minutes until we made it to a familiar area.

"I know where I am now, thanks." I said with appreciation.

"No problem." Erik said when his tablet made a notification sound. Erik immediately went to check it.

Standing there, I was finally able to get a good look at Erik. His face was pale and unshaven, dark bags underneath his eyes. His hair was oily and ruffled, like he kept running his hair through it.

Suddenly, I saw myself in him. I remembered that one night in my old apartment, when I looked at myself in the mirror and saw a lost and tortured soul.

Erik reminded me of the times where I felt too tired to stand up.

"Are you doing okay, Erik?" I asked tentatively.

Erik made a noise of vague acknowledgement as he rapidly started typing something in. Carefully, I placed my hands on top of his. Erik practically jumped ten feet in the air at the contact.

"Erik, do you need to rest?" I asked more firmly.

Erik dismissed me. "No, I just have a load of work that I need to get done. The case we are all working on is important. Of course, you would know–"

"When was the last time you fully rested?"

Erik seemed to be thinking back. After a few moments, I knew that it had been a while. The poor man was going to collapse in on himself.