Chapter 40

Athena

"It hurts so much Mama. Why did you have to leave me so soon?" Tears stream down my cheeks as I feel her warm embrace. 

Almost as if she was real. 

"My last wish!" Mama's voice is the same as always. 

Soft and full of love. And the question she asks is her last wish. 

Something that's I've forgotten about a long time ago. 

"Mama you don't know. He wasn't the same Romero you knew. He hurt me all the time." I cry into her arms. 

"It's okay darling. I see how happy Dante makes you. I approve of him!" Her hand strokes my head. 

"I wish you were here to see your grandchild Mama!" I tell her as I rub my stomach fondly. The life growing inside my stomach bringing nothing but joy to me. 

"I'll always be here watching, protecting you from above. Darling you are not alone. I'll always be there for you not physically but spiritually. I love you Athena. Always and Forever." She says while wrapping her arms around my small frame. 

"Mama don't go. Don't leave me. Papa has already left me. Don't leave." I cry into her arms begging her to stay. Please.

"NO!" I cry out loud when nothing but shards of emptiness surrounds me and my Mama's warm and comforting embrace leaves me. 

"MAMA COME BACK!" I scream into the emptiness. 

"Bambolina. Athena. Wake up!" I hear Dante's voice and my eyes shoot open. 

"She's gone. She's left me." I mumble as the tears spill down my cheeks uncontrollably.

"She was there and then she left me. I miss her so much!" I choke into his chest as he soothes and whispers words of comfort into my ear. 

He lets me cry. Cry until nothing more is left. 

His fingers fumbles through my hair and his lips kiss the top of my head. "Tell me about her bambolina!" Dante says once my cries have quietened down.

"It hurts. It hurts so much Dante!" I tell him as I tell him all the lovely things Mama will be remembered for. 

I haven't opened up to Dante about my family. Not much. 

He knows of Papa not contacting me after shipping me off to Italy. He knows of Mama's death. But he doesn't know who Mama was as a person. He deserves to know the kind and brave soul he didn't get a chance to meet.

"She was so kind and me being her only child she loved me endlessly! I remember when I was a kid and used to play with Romero she always comforted me and relived her childhood through us." The mention of Romero's name makes Dante tense.

"I'm sorry I forgot." I quickly mumble not wanting him to be angry. 

"It's alright bambolina. He is your past I am your present and future. Continue!" Dante pecks my lips and I give him a small smile. He is so fucking understanding.

"Mama and I always had our inside jokes. I was known for yelling around the house and her comeback was inside voice darling. It was like having a best friend. One that was there for me through thick and thin. She always saw the good in every person." I sigh remembering how Mama never failed to do her best for the world. 

"I was out clubbing with Kyle and Alyssa when I found out from Papa how ill she really was and she was in hospital." I miss out the detail of being in Kyle's apartment not wanting to further create problems. Kyle is irrelevant anyway.

"I ran to the hospital in my clubbing outfit. I told them I was here to see Mama and they didn't believe that I was a Valentine. The security guard was about to have his way with me when Papa confirmed I was a Valentine!" Dante wraps his arms around me tightly and buries his face in the crook of my neck. 

"She wasn't awake. She had a heart attack after that she woke up. I was yelling and the first thing she said was 'Inside Voice Darling'." I laugh quietly at that. 

That was one of the last conversations I had with her. 

"The Moretti's then came. And that afternoon while I was talking to her Mama suffered from cardiac arrest and left me for good. Her last wish was for me to marry Romero and that's how I am here!" I finish and look into his brown eyes. 

"Every time I try being happy I think about how much I must be disappointing her. That's what my dream was about. I don't know but she was telling me how she approves of you or something like that." I explain and look at him.

I want him to say something. 

Anything.

"I wish I could've met her. Met the person that gave birth to my Athena!" He pecks my lips fondly and I smile while responding.

"But her last wish brought some good in your life. We met. If it wasn't for your Mother's last wish we wouldn't be here right now bambolina!" He explains and I realise that. 

I now realise how without Mama I would have never met my soulmate. Guess something good did come out of Mama's last wish.

"If it wasn't for your Mother we wouldn't have a baby on the way!" He touches my belly. I know how happy Dante is that he is going to be Dad. 

With him there are no hardships with him everything is perfect carefree and I hope it stays like that.

I hope nothing taints out happiness with darkness. 

Because without Dante, I don't think I'd be here.

Alive and Breathing. 

He is my saviour. 

He is mine. 

A/N:

I love their relationship. 

She is way better off with Dante. 

But their 6 months are nearly over. How do we feel about that?

Comment and vOTE. 

Soul x