chapter •succession of a brother

...

I'm Raziye. Daughter of Sultan Murad. Born to Safiye Sultan. Raziye, the carefree, Sultana. Favorite of my father and my brother, Mehmed. Istanbul was my home, in the palace Topkapı. I walk the hall where my ancestresses walked. Hurrem, Mihrimah, and Nurbanu. Women with great power. Now my mother was one of them. I am a member of the Ottoman Dynasty and mother never lets me forget.

I've spend my childhood in the protection of my parents as my brothers where spend to their provinces and my sisters married off. I was different, however. The first five years of my childhood, people have whispered how much I resembled the powerful Ottoman princess, Mihrimah, Daughter of Suleiman the Magnificent. How my beauty resembled the sun and moon as hers did.

Mother was grateful for that, she loved Mihrimah Sultan and her daughter, Ayse Humasah Sultan.

The death of my father was hard on me for many reasons. His death caused a great sadness in the harem and to my mother. His death meant the succession of my brother Mehmed as arranged by our mother. His succession meant the death of my brothers and half-brothers...

Five year old Ayse Raziye Sultan sat with her mother, the new Valide Sultan, Safiye Sultan. She watches as coffins of her nineteen brothers are carried out of the palace. She cried into her mother's skirt and Safiye brushes her head gently.

"My sweet Raziye, do not cry. This is a small price to pay for the reign of your brother. No one can stand in our way now." Safiye says calm. Raziye continued to cry, wondering if she will ever forgive her brother for this.

The years had passed and the reign of Mehmed was a cruel one. Raziye stayed away from matters of state, but Safiye did her best to control her son and the Empire. Raziye has grown along side her nephews, Mahmud and Ahmed. Ahmed, who was the same age as Raziye, loved the Sultana like a sister more than an aunt. The three had a great relationship, even when more siblings were being born. Even when Mahmud and Ahmed finally had a sister of their own, Raziye was still their favorite.

Raziye joined the two princes in their secret garden after visiting her niece, Dilruba. She found them practicing and watched carefully. She was glad they were not using real swords. As Ahmed blocked a hit from Mahmud, they smile at each other.

"Well job, Ahmed. Soon you'll be able to beat even me." Mahmud comments. Ahmed chuckles lightly and wipes his forehead.

"Maybe." Ahmed says. Raziye came out of her spot and walks over.

"You put yourself low, Ahmed. Why can't you ever admit that you are great?" Raziye asks. Ahmed shakes his head and Mahmud points his wooden sword at the Sultana.

"Our wonderful aunt has a point, Ahmed. How will you ever win a war if you don't believe in yourself?" Mahmud asks. He grabs Raziye by the hand and brings her to stand by him.

"You have the support of your brother and of Raziye Sultan. What more is there?" All three laugh together before watching the sun in the horizon. It was a beautiful day.

Mahmud finally looks at his family and leans on his sword.

"I talked to our father today. I demanded an army to attack Jalal the Rebel from him." Mahmud informs. Ahmed and Raziye look at him as if he was crazy. He must have been for confronting His Majesty on this.

"Brother, what have you do?!" Ahmed asked in worry. Mahmud eyes fill with sadness. He grabbed his sword and left the garden, not knowing it it would be the last time his brother and aunt would see him...

"Sultana! Sultana!" Raziye was violently shook awake by her servant and friend, Gulbahar. Gulbahar held a kaftan in her hand. "Sultana, you must hurry. A message came from a guard, the Sultan plans to execute Sehzade Mahmud!"

Raziye kicked the covers off and took the kaftan from Gulbahar, quickly putting it on. She races out the door with her ladies behind her. It felt like such a long way to Mahmud's suite.

Raziye turned the final corner when she saw Ahmed on his knees in front of Mahmud's door. A silent assassin held him back from intruding on the Sultan's orders.

Raziye walk slowly, afraid to see the horror that might await her at the door. It was a horror. Mahmud's body was on the floor with a silk rope around his throat.

"Mahmud..." Raziye collapses onto the floor, but Gulbahar caught her to set her down gently. "MAHMUD!" She cries out. She was held by Ahmed as well and cried with her.

FIRST CHAPTER. IF YOU DIDN'T LIKE I'M SORRY.

IF YOU DID, THANKS!