Where to Start

This could possibly be one of the hardest parts of writing. Taking those first few steps to putting your words, and worlds, onto the page. 

This is the part that comes before the plotting, before the pantsing. It is the basics, taking those swirling ideas that aren't completely formed, and making sense of what they could become. There are no easy answers, and no magic formula for writing, but there are a few little things that are somewhat universal.

When I start to come up with a new idea, I usually let it simmer in my mind. It could be a few days, a few weeks. Some even for months, until more solid ideas take form. Then comes the page.

Because it always starts with a blank page.

This particular part doesn't have a true guide involved. It is pretty simple. Sit down and write down the ideas that you have. They don't have to be in order. They don't have to be full sentences, or even make sense. This is the part where you just get whatever has been haunting you onto the page in any form you can.

Once you have those basics down, the parts that you see clearest, try to build around them. Expand each item, whether it be into a scene, or a character description. And remember, even if you are a plotter, don't worry about an outline just yet. This is just about sorting through ideas.

Some points to consider in this stage include the following: 

Genre - When it comes to writing, your genre dictates much of your story. There are rules for each, from word count to plot direction. Things within this section will also include specifics about characters, such as age. Young adult, for example, requires characters to be aged 13-18, while New Adult is 18-24. 

Setting - Where is your story going to take place? In the city? Country? This may change as the story progresses, but a general idea of the wheres and whens are important. If you are writing a historical tale, research is key! Readers are keen observers for consistency and accuracy when it comes to historical events, so if you're looking to venture into the past, do so with care and attention to details. 

Point of View - First person? Third? Again, this is an important aspect to consider in your writing. Most people have a preference that carries throughout all their work, while others jump from one to the other depending on the tale itself. For me, I find that first person lets you live the story through the eye of the character, where third person allows observation from a distance. If you aren't sure of your preference, try writing a few scenes that are clearest in your head in both first and third person. It can help you find your rhythm, and your comfort zone.

Characters - This is another big component, before you even start the story itself. You need to learn your characters as if they were actual people. They need to be multidimensional, progressive and driven, because in the end you want readers you care what happens to them. To build a relationship with them, and cheer for them. Things to consider with character aspects include the physical such as hair color, eye color, build, height, etc. Others are personality. Outgoing? Quiet and reclusive? And how will these aspects effect their journey through your story? 

Conflict & Stakes - Hands down, this is the biggest part of the story. Because no tale is complete without conflict and stakes. A good way to develop this particular section is through GMC outlining, which is Goal, Motivation, Conflict. Each main character needs a goal, something that motivates them towards that goal, and a conflict restricting their success in reaching it. I will cover GMCs more thoroughly in another chapter, but during this early stage, jot down ideas for the stakes and conflicts for each main character in rough form to be considered when moving forward.

Rules of Conduct - Writing allows you freedom to build a world and do what you want. But it is always within reason. Even with fantasy and science fiction, where it would appear that you have little to no limits, that is a misconception. There are always limits, and they come from you. Once you set rules for your story, be sure to stick with them. For example; in Twilight, it was impressed throughout the series that newborns were blood thirsty and out of control. That once you become a vampire, you cannot bear children. Over and over these facts were stressed, and yet, Bella was able to keep her family, have a child, and her control right to the end. While some loved the fact she got everything she wanted, others pointed out the hypocrisy of that fact. So be sure, if you set certain limits within your story, stick to them. Or, if you do wish to break them, show due cause and reason for doing so. Not just for a happy ending.

These are just a few aspects to consider when you're ready to get your words onto the page. There are no restrictions, no limits, no rules in this part. Its freedom personified, and can be done on paper or your computer. I have done both, depending on the story and the complexity in the early stages. Get the ideas down, and then we will move on to putting them in place!